Day 948

Luke smiles fondly where he's curled up on the couch, eyes locked onto the smaller boy next to him. Ashton's found the wonders of television and is now perched on the edge of his seat, eyes wide as he states at the screen. The blue and orange lights are flickering across his face, falling into the shadows and lighting up the highlights of his cheekbones, and Luke thinks he's absolutely beautiful. He's the most beautiful person Luke's ever seen.

Not that he'd ever admit that. Not that he'd ever tell Ashton the stupid bond has some sort of effect on him.

Ashton grabs the remote again and inspects in closely until he finds the channel up button and presses it. "What's this?"

Luke glances at the screen and quirks an eyebrow. "Antiques Roadshow?"

"What's it about?" Ashton asks. Michael, who's settled into Calum's lap on the chair, looks up from the laptop.

"People find stuff in their houses and bring them to this place, where other people tell them how much the stuff is worth," Luke explains. Ashton places the tip of the remote under his chin and eyes up the women on the screen curiously. One of them had brought in an old, rusted, faded sign, and the other is appraising it. They watch while the woman explains it, then announces how much it's worth.

Ashton gasps in complete shock and drops the remote. "$40,000?!" He yells. "That piece of junk is worth that much? Is this a real show- like, is it real life?"

"Yeah, it's an antique," Luke nods.

Ashton looks frustrated by the show and ducks down to grab the remote off the floor. He punches the button to change the channel and frowns. Michael and Calum both look amused by his frustration with the television.

"What's this?" Ashton points at the new show.

Luke frowns at the animated monkey on the screen. "Curious George, I think."

"Oh, I know that one!" Ashton nods as he squirms a bit to get comfortable on the couch. "My mom used to tell me about it, she read me the books and gave me a stuffed animal. That was the first braille book I read!" He pauses and looks at the screen, instantly frowning in confusion. "Why is he so ugly?"

Luke laughs and shakes his head. "It's a kids show, they're not supposed to be cute. He just has to resemble a monkey."

"Oh," Ashton's staring at the monkey on the screen like it holds the secrets to the world and Luke can't help the way he smiles so fondly. Before he can respond, the garage door starts opening. Luke freezes and Calum grabs Michael before they both look at Luke and disappear simultaneously. Ashton frowns and glances around in confusion. "Where did they go? What's that?"

"Garbage door," Luke explains quickly. "Your mom is home, it's probably her lunch hour. Do you want her to see me or not?"

"Why, what's the big deal?" Ashton pauses for a second, then his hands fling up to his face. "Oh! How are we supposed to explain this?"

"I don't know," Luke frowns. "Ash, do you want me to stay here and help you or sit next to you so she can't see me?"

Ashton shrugs and glances over as the garage door starts closing again, apparently realizing that the only have a few seconds. "It might be awkward if you're here, you can- whatever, disappear. But don't leave the room."

"Of course not," Luke smiles reassuringly at him, then flickers until he disappears. Ashton frowns at the spot he had been sitting, but doesn't get a lot of time to dwell on it. As soon as Luke's gone, the door to the garage open and Ashton's mother comes in.

Ashton goes the easiest route and stares at her pointedly while she closes the door behind her. When she glances up and meets Ashton's eyes, she frowns. "Ashton?"