"Thank you!" she beamed, pulling Jasper into a tight hug. Seemingly not used to so much female attention, Jasper's face was a violent shade of red. 

"Note to self," Monty started, "Next time, save the girl."

----

After the attack at the river, we had hiked only a bit further before deciding to set up camp. It seemed a much better alternative to hiking through the forest in the dark with no knowing of what was out there. 

The forest was simply beautiful at night. The mossy covered trees and rocks seemed to glow under the moonlight and I had never seen anything like it. 

A sense of calm overcame me as I looked around at the forest, my eyes dancing across the scene in awe. 

"Pretty cool, right?" I turned to see Jasper standing beside me, a lopsided grin on his face which was lit up from the florescent glow of the forest. 

"I've never seen anything so beautiful." I breathed, lightly running my hand across a moss covered rock. 

Jasper let out a small laugh as he nodded. "Guess that makes up for the sea monster." 

I turned to him with a grateful smile. "Thank you for saving Octavia." I said, looking over to where my best friend sat. 

Jasper's face reddened as he nonchalantly tried to wave me off. "All in a day's work." he muttered, his eyes falling downward as he tried to hide his blush. 

"I'm glad you came with us." I declared, leaning over to bump his shoulder with my own. "Jasper saves the day."

"Oh, come on." he breathed, overwhelmed with the positive affirmations. "Your brother would have saved the day. Guys like him always do, right?"

My eyes travelled toward where Finn and Clarke were in conversation, a huge smile on my brother's face as he talked to the blonde girl. 

"Sure." I agreed with a shrug. "But you saved the day this time...don't forget it."

A small smile spread across Jasper's face as he nodded. "Thanks, Avery." his eyes flickered toward mine. "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too." I smiled, placing my hand on his shoulder for a moment before turning. "I'm heading to bed." I declared, making my way back toward our small campfire. "Clarke's probably going to have us up at the crack of dawn."

"Good thinking." Monty agreed from where he sat next to Octavia. 

"Oh, come on guys!" Octavia groaned, "We're on Earth...live a little!"

I glared at her as I bunched my jacket into a makeshift pillow. "You know I need my beauty sleep."

She rolled eyes with a laugh as she looked toward Monty and Jasper who had both prepared for sleep. "Yeah, you guys should see her if she gets any less than eight hours-total nightmare."

"I don't believe it." Jasper argued. ""Avery" and "nightmare" don't seem to go together."

I shot him a quick wink as I laid my head down on my bunched jacket. "Just wait until you get to know be a bit better."

Octavia let out a loud laugh, Monty and Jasper soon joining in. I couldn't fight the smile that spread across my face as my eyes tired. 

I fell asleep that night with a blissful smile on my face. 

---

When I awoke the next morning, I had a kink in my neck and my throat was almost too dry to speak, but still it was one of the best sleeps I had had in almost 18 years. Because for once, I knew that when I woke up I'd be free.