Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

They waited for only a short time until they saw Banzai trotting back up towards them with two hyenas on his tail. Kito grinned at Lindia and Moyo as they came towards him and they grinned in return. Scar's lip twitched.
"Ah, these two," he muttered.
"Do you have a problem with them?" Shenzi asked.
"Not at all... as long as they don't think this is free time with my son."
The young hyenas looked at each other, then at Kito, then Scar.
"Service for the King is our top priority," Lindia declared, lowering her head into a humble bow. Moyo followed her lead and did the same thing.
An amused smirk appeared on Scar's face.
"I like these two. Why did you keep them from me for so long?"
"They were too young to be of any use to you before," Shenzi said.
"Well, I can use them now."
He stood up and circled the two young hyenas, his body nearly brushing up against them.
"I need you to go find Sarabi and tell her to gather her hunting party. She needs to bring food back for the Pride. This is an order. Report back to me when you have delivered your message."
Lindia and Moyo nodded before taking off towards the main den. Kito was about to follow after them, but Scar blocked him with his body.
"Where do you think you're going?" he growled.
"I was just going to make sure they carried out their orders."
Scar's eyes narrowed. The trio immediately noticed the tension and took it as their hint to leave. Scar continued to glare at him until they were out of earshot.
"How stupid do you think I am? Really, it's quite offensive. Why don't you go visit with Nala or find some other young lioness to hang around? You could always practice hunting with them."
A twisted grin appeared on his face as he mentioned "hunting".
"In the meantime I'll tend to your mother and your sibling. They're going to need my attention all the time if my next cub is to turn out as healthy and strong as you are," Scar said, a look of pride appearing on his face.
Kito looked out at the horizon to avoid his father's gaze.
"You know, one day you'll have to give our family some cubs of your own. Nala will bear you strong, healthy, handsome heirs. You really should stay around her more. Soon enough she'll give into your advances. You are my son, after all."
"Okay fine I'll go find Nala or a few of the lionesses. I need some company," Kito muttered.
Scar's grin widened.
"That's my boy. Just come home before the sun sets... Unless you have more important things to tend to."
With that Scar winked and walked back into the cave. Kito glared after him before climbing down Pride Rock.
He wandered aimlessly, taking in the scenery around him. Somehow it didn't seem as glorious as it used to be when he was a cub.
I'll run into someone sooner or later.
He passed dead trees and trodden grass where many antelope, zebra, and buffalo once roamed. From afar he saw a pair of giraffes trying to browse on a dying tree. He actually felt bad for them. He avoided the water hole, because he knew the slowly drying water would only depress him more. Sure it was half full now, but where would it be in a few years?
He suddenly realized that he had turned in the direction of the Outlands as he stood on a boulder overlooking what used to be a small pond that was now mud. He surveyed the barren landscape with a slight fascination.
Was I born in the Outlands and brought here, only to turn it into another wasteland?
He sighed and sprawled out on the rock. He stuck his paw in the mud and pressed down, hard. Satisfied, he looked down at the paw print.
At least I'll have made my mark when the mud dries.
Suddenly he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. He sat up and looked to his right. He was shocked to see Nala at the border with another lion. They were talking, and Kito could tell that he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. He leapt off of the rock and bounded over to where they were. He let out a challenging roar as he got closer. Nala's head snapped over in his direction and the lion tensed. Kito ran forward and placed himself in front of Nala, also placing himself snout to snout with the intruder. It was another young adult with tan fur and a scruffy brown mane. His light brown eyes locked on Kito's. They bared their teeth at one another, both standing tall.
"Kito, what are you doing here?!" Nala snarled.
"I'm making sure that our lands are safe from intruders, unlike you!" he growled, his eyes still on the other lion.
"I had it handled!"
The tan lion glanced over at her then back at Kito. His snarl turned into a smirk.
"I was about to leave, anyways. I have no interest in taking over whatever this is," he said, gesturing at the land around them.
Kito snarled.
"Then get out!"
The lion's lip twitched.
"I don't appreciate being snarled at," he growled.
"Just back off, Kito," Nala hissed behind him.
"Well, you're on my land, so I can say whatever I want to you however I want."
The lion laughed at this and Kito felt his muscles tense.
"Your land?! Everyone knows this land belongs to Scar after the hyena takeover. I just assumed you're Scrawny the Second."
The insult fueled Kito's anger and before he knew what he was doing he had lunged at the intruder. His claws raked into fur and flesh. They both roared as they struggled for dominance. Kito felt claws tear into his face and he roared in pain. He struck out wildly and bit into his rival. He was satisfied when he heard a loud roar of agony coming from his foe. The tan lion retreated from the thrashing of claws and teeth. Kito stood up and watched proudly as the other lion ran into the distance. He turned to Nala. She was gawking at him.
Maybe she didn't know I was so strong?
"You know, it won't be that easy to get rid of me and my father. You're stuck with us," he growled slowly.
"Kito..."
"I'm going home," he said bluntly.
"No, it's your face. He tore up the side of your face. You're bleeding."
She came up next to him and put a paw gently on the left side of his face. It stung, and he had to flinch away from her touch. Then he saw the blood on her paw.
"I need to see what he did to me. Let's go to the water hole."
He started walking and she followed quietly after him.
When they reached the edge of the receding water, Kito looked down at his reflection. His face was soaked with blood, but he could still see the deep marks in his cheek right below his left eye. Just a hair up and he might've looked even more like his father. He might've even lost his eye. He smacked his reflection with his paw and turned away. Nala was watching him with pity in her eyes.
"Oh, Kito..."
"Save it for when you actually care," he growled, storming back towards Pride Rock.
Nala started to follow after him. Then  she turned away and ran in the direction of the shaman's tree.