4, 3, 2, 1 - lucadora

doing this for plutology's oneshot contest! lowercase intended because i'm lazy. my first time writing lucadora (lucas and smackle, for those who have not heard of this fabulousness) as well, so bear with me.

enjoy!

-

1

2

3

4

loving you is never a chore

5

6

7

8

hide my feelings until i break

-

sometimes he sat up at night wondering where everything went wrong. he loved riley and maya, it was practically (for better or for worse)  one of his defining traits; had been since texas.

smackle wasn't in texas, he reminded himself. that's a perfectly nice excuse.

but it wasn't, he knew it wasn't. it was no excuse for totally abandoning the two girls he had thought he loved, no matter how many times he told himself it was. plus his execution on the whole abandonment front could've been better. 

they'd told him to choose come ninth grade, that was his time limit to decide. they weren't all going to play this game forever, it was unfair to everyone. he agreed and one month into the school year he'd told both of them to meet him out front after school, ready to tell them which one he chose. but, every single day leading up to that meeting, every moment since smackle had joined them in high school, he'd had this feeling laying on his chest; a gigantic, throbbing weight that refused to move no matter what lies he told to himself. 

disregard what many will tell you, lucas friar wasn't stupid. he knew smackle was the cause of this infinite heaviness, he just didn't know when his feelings for her became anything but platonic. part of him thinks it was after riley dragged farkle to the rooftop on new years eve and they were left standing next to each other, their lovers gone in a blur of confusion and angst.

i just happen to be standing next to you.

who's the creepy creep creep now?

she'd come dangerously close to his face then, and he saw her in a completely new light, literally and figuratively. the way her glasses-framed eyes twinkled under the false bulbs, how small and delicate her lips were, the row of perfect white teeth she showed as she smiled. all of it, it was beyond any beauty he'd ever seen so close.

and he was so very, very screwed.

he told none of this to anyone, though. not when he stood in front of an entire crowd and told riley and maya he liked neither of them, not when farkle approached him later asking why, not when he was shunned for days, not when he took up the roll of the player of abigail adams in less than twenty-four hours, not when smackle and farkle broke up two months later. never.

at least, not until now.

because right now he was standing in an abandoned classroom with said isadora smackle, both her fragile hands in his, them staring endlessly at each other. if he was being honest, he didn't remember pulling her in here before she left for the subway like everyone else and telling her he was in love with her all too well. all he knew was that she had not yet responded and he was about to combust from fear and anxiety and stress and every other god-awful feeling coursing through him.

she suddenly dropped his hands and, allowing her to get a relief from the awkwardness she was surely feeling, he let them fall. he only then realized, after they were already gone, that his ginormous hands completely encompassed hers. it had been like kitten paws within the claws of a lion. he liked that, he knew how strong she was mentally and emotionally, but physically, she wasn't big or intimidating, she was something that still needed to be protected.

"this belongs to you," she said, pulling a red lump from her book bag. it took him a few seconds of her arms dangling outstretched in the air, holding the item, for him to realize it was his letterman jacket. he could almost make out 'lucas' sewn white against the red fabric.

he looked up at her face for a moment to see if she was actually serious, but he saw nothing distinguishable on her features, every emotion he had ever known was flickering there. he gently took the jacket from her arms and wrapped it around her instead.

he smiled affectionately, trying not to let all the feelings coursing through him run rampant. "it looks better on you, smackle. plus, it's getting chilly out there, don't want you to catch a cold."

though he could tell she tried to hold it back, a shy smile broke out on her face. "you just will never give up will you, lucas?"

he shook his head, "never."

the mood shifted again, now back to the previous seriousness, and smackle turned her back on him, nodding her head once before walking towards the door.

4...

3...

2...

1...

she dropped her bag and spun around, running back towards him. he caught her face in his hands, her neck craned all the way up to look him in the eye. this is true beauty, he thought. the way her eyes raked his face desperately, loose hairs falling around her forehead, bottom lip caught between her teeth, arms wrapped around his torso. this was the genius he'd fallen in total love with.

"i want to kiss you." lucas spoke breathily, voice thick.

"that is a terrible, horrible, foolish idea," smackle said. it was more of a beg.

"let's do it and see what happens."

-

riley's pluto