Elena Caron

"I can't believe this is happening."

Wren stared into the distance with emotionless eyes. He didn't turn at the sound of his sisters voice. He didn't reply. He didn't even make a sound.
Elena lowered her gaze to her feet.

The brother and sister stood in quiet for several minutes. Wren never even flinched, he sat gazing into nothing the whole time they sat. While Elena fidgeted and shuffled her feet.

Bryce Caron was leaving Nightsong. His children stood by the borders and watched as he said his final farewells.

"Daddy!" exclaimed the high pitched and innocent voice of Petyr Caron.
Elena moved towards her younger brother and put her arms around him.
"Please make him stay Elena... please." he cried.
Their father approached them.

"Children,"
"Father!" Petyr yelped, and removing himself from Elena's grasp, hugged him tightly.
"Must you leave father? Especially now..." Elena looked to her feet once again.
Her father embraced her and Petyr in a warm and caring hug.
"I must do this my beautiful cherubs," he whispered to them, "Maester Yandel is here, he will take care of you while I'm gone."
"You'll come back right?" Petyr sobbed.
"Of course I will," their father sighed.
He turned to his eldest.

"Wren," he breathed.
His eldest son remained unstirred.
"Wren please, you'll regret it if you don't say goodbye."
Wren's eye twitched.
"I know you think what you are doing is right and the best for this family," Wren spoke to his father, "but what you're doing - you're leaving us. You're abandoning us, and you're not doing it for us you're doing this for yourself. We need you here."

Lord Bryce Caron winced, but bit his lip and stood tall. He placed a hand on Wren's shoulder.
"Nightsong is yours, my boy."

He glanced once more at each of his children, and turned to leave.
"Father!" Petyr yelped.
Elena moved herself down so that she was the same height as Petyr and cuddled him tightly.

Petyr cried into Elena's chest. She barely even knew if Wren was still there.

------------------------------------------------

In the silence of the cold night there was a crack from outside Elena's chamber.
Her eyes flicked open.
She peered over to her chamber door. It was slightly ajar, which she knew was not how she had left it.
"Well... shit."
She let out a shaky breath.