Beck

The wind was harsh today at Castle Black. Beck felt... well he felt nothing. His entire body was completely numb to the bone. But he was used to it, being a northerner.
Beck hadn't shaved in a few weeks now, he hadn't had the chance. His beard was shaggy, a reddish colour, just like his messy hair.

Castle Black was a dull and dreary place. Most of the men were solemn and looked rather lifeless, all dressed in black and covered in cold speckles of snow.

Beck shivered as a sudden breeze blew over the grounds.

Men of all kinds could be found at Castle Black, short, tall, thin, fat, strong, weak, young and old. There were previous Lords, squires, rapists, murderers, there were bastards, thieves and innocent men. The men of the nights watch used to be honourable soldiers but were now merely a crowd of outlaws and criminals. Castle Black had become a dumping ground for rejects that had managed to escape death by the tips of their fingers and Beck fit in rather well.

"New recruits! Get over here now!" He heard a rough voice call.

He went towards the source of the rough voice.

"Is that everybody?" the man said.

Beck looked around. There was at least six other men around him, looking up at the rough man who was taking the assembly. He humphed. He was a large man with a wide, rectangular chest.
"Guess it'll have to do."

------------------------------------------------

After the introduction-assembly, Beck was left, waiting patiently. He wanted to be a ranger. It was the least boring in his opinion, and while he would have chosen to stay at home and fight for his house, being a ranger was the closest thing he would ever get to that.

I shouldn't even be here. He thought angrily. He took a deep breath and sighed, calming himself down. He was shaking, but not because of the cold.

Beck was angry.

"What's up?" a scrawny boy appeared on his left.

"Nothing..."

"You look pretty pissed off."

Beck looked at the boy. He was very thin, with hair like a dead rat. He stared back at Beck with bright blue eyes and a lopsided smile.

"I shouldn't be here." Beck said, truthfully.

"Ah," said the boy, "well you're not alone." He looked down at the ground.

Beck didn't feel like having this conversation. He turned his head. The scrawny boy eventually walked away.

------------------------------------------------

It was time. Beck lined up beside the other new recruits, in-front of the large man with the rough voice. Beck let out a shaky breath. The man cleared his throat and looked down at his scroll.

"Gordon, to the builders. Ben, to the Rangers. Brandon, to the stewards. Ferret, to the stewards."

Beck watched as the scrawny boy - Ferret, let out a sigh of relief. The rough man continued.

"Beck, to the stewards."

Beck's heart sank.

"Rolland, to the Rangers and Karoff, to the builders."