Prologue

She pinned her hair softly into the bun, trying to grasp the strands that always crowded the nape of her neck. She stared pensively into the mirror trying to force a demure look into her smile. Tonight was her night, she had prepared for this performance for what seemed to be utterly too long. She was going to tackle the role of Giselle with grace and lithe. Or at least that is what she kept telling herself. What could be better than hearing the crowd roar at the end of that final step and that last breath that finally blows out easily. It is what drove her now, her only want, her only desire.

Life had just picked up again for this budding ballerina. The sunshine finally leaving sweet kisses on her life, allowing her to get into one of the best dance companies in Virginia. Dancing had always been a hum in the background for her, just something she loved when she was not doing the things that were required of her. The only constant she had with having travelers for parents. They always managed to somehow find her a school where she could dance in, even in Virginia, she was able to attend one in her final year of high school. Especially when life was not necessarily doing its finest at that time.

Now she looks back on that darkness and feels the need to channel that long forgotten pain. She had wept with joy when she learned that she would be taking on the lead role for Giselle. Her connection to the character could not be any more spot on. She too had lost a love, but to an accident and a poor sense of judgement. But the pain was all the same, still here after only two years of healing. Nevermind that, as Giselle receives the happy ending and tonight she has to give off the exterior of a happy ending.

She makes the final touches to her ballet shoes, ensuring they have ample amounts of support and give. She could hear the audience chatting so close to her ears and her heart started to drown out her own thoughts. Her cast mates gossiped and giggled next to her, but her fear grew with every passing second. Her whole family would be in the audience expecting the best out of her, showering her with their praise and adoration when she completed the dance.

The stage lights flickered, signaling all the dancers to get into their positions. She angled her body and lead the dance on her right foot, as the orchestra chimed behind her pulling her into the dance. All she could hear was the strings and all of the fear was able to drift away. She twirled and dipped and poured all of her emotions into her movements. She thought back to the love she felt for Carson and how she used to feel a swarm of butterflies every time she laid eyes on her. How her kisses lit her up inside and made her feel so warm and content. All of those happy moments that they shared fueled the love and desire Giselle felt towards the Duke.

She made it through the first act with little issue, even able to catch her breath after such a powerful ending. This paradise only managed to last for so long. Lux relied on the pain she subdued for too many years to count. Almost losing Carson in the car crash and dealing with all of guilt she harbored for lying to her. Then regaining her love, only for her to be sent away... Lux, consumed by the pain and the memories that she harbored for Carson, came crashing down hard on her ankle.

The silence that followed screamed at her, as she tried to get on her feet once again. Sharp shooting pains shoot up her ankle and she could already feel the swelling. People swirled around her grasping her, pulling her from the ground, bringing her backstage. All that Lux could hear was her gasping cries as she couldn't move her ankle in one direction or the other. But even through the pain she was able to see that Lux still brought her to her knees.