Chapter 15: But... I Mean... You're...

Lexa's POV

As I break away from Clarke's embrace I start to miss the contact between our bodies. I miss being able to feel the rhythm of her heart beat, I will never be able to hear it but I will always be able to feel it.

I look at Clarke and realise I need to put her mind at ease.
"I can understand you" I say as I try to reassure her.
"But... I mean... You're..." Clarke stutters and looks at my ears.
"Hard of Hearing. I'm not totally deaf. But yes."
"Yeah.. So um" Clarke says, taking a step back and turning around. I see her arms start to move around in front and to the side of her body.

Clarke turns around staring at me. Waiting for me to answer.
"I'm so sorry." She suddenly blurts out coming to the realisation of what had just happened.
This would be a great time to explain.

I take hold of Clarke's shoulders and position them parallel to mine. I take my index finger and push up on her chin so that she is looking directly at me.
"I have to be able to see your face. I need your lips" I explain.

Clarke raises her eyebrow and her checks flush slightly.

"I need your lips to read I mean." I say realising what I had said.

I then take my hand and brush a strand of Clarke's golden hair from her check and gently place it behind her ear. "I read your face, your lips and your eyes. "

Clarke nods at me to tell me that she is following along. Her eyes never leaving mine.

I smile at her slightly. I catch her eyes drift to my lips but they almost immediately snap back towards my eyes.

Maybe I'm just seeing things.

I relax my body and carry on to explain one more thing. 
"As long as you talk normally and face me I can understand you. I mean I have been since we met right?!" I say the last part with a slight chuckle in my voice.

"Im really sorry about that." Clarke explains.

"Don't be sorry Clarke. You have nothing to be sorry for" I reply.

I take my time in stating this point hoping that Clarke will fully digest and internalise it. I didn't mean don't be sorry about the last week I meant that the thing with her ex Finn was not her fault.

Clarke's POV

I feel so guilty now that Lexa has explained to me her situation. I mean I must of been facing the wrong way from her a million times in class.

Also how much time did I spend taking about Hayley Williams and how amazing her voice was. I wish I had known.

"Thank you." I reply to Lexa.
She stands there with a confused look.
"You don't know it but I think you have just saved a part of me. A part of me that didn't believe I could ever be happy."

Lexa mouth transformed from a slight smirk of a smile to a full smile, that when she realised she was conveying she bowed her head down and covered her face with her hand in embarrassment.

I closed the space between us slightly.

"So Lex, you can read lips right?" I say to her with a slight mischievous smile. I have an idea.