Teacher in Progress- Chapter fifteen

When Saturday finally arrived I dressed myself in black pants and a red shirt and made my way downstairs. My mom was still sleeping upstairs. Her one or two day sickness turned into a five day sickness and I was really worried about her. I brought her chicken noodle soup almost every day and read to her even when she protested saying that she wasn't a baby. 

The rest of the family was sitting in the living room watching t.v. The place wasn't as clean as it was when mom wasn't sick but we tried our best. It was now six and I told Marissa I would be there before seven so she could "fix me up". 

"Where do you think you're going?" Derrick asked looking up from whatever they were watching. 

"Marissa's house. I told you about the party," I answered walking toward the door. 

"Who said you could go to a party?" 

"Dad."

"Yep," my dad said with his eyes still glued to the screen. I stuck my tongue out at Derrick while he rolled his eyes. 

"I'll take you to Marissa's. I have to leave now to go to the party anyways," Eric said and stood up. I nodded and he followed me to his car. We got into his car and he drove to her house. 

I was nervous about the party but I was extremely nervous about what Marissa would put on me. Eric turned on the radio and started singing. Sometimes I worried about him.

After saying goodbye to Eric, I walked up to Marissa's house and rang the doorbell. Marissa opened it wearing a really short strapless black dress that revealed more than it hid. Her hair was left with it's natural curls and her make up was perfect as ever. I gaped at her as she smiled and hugged me. 

"Casey! You're finally here. Come in," she said and pulled me into her house. Becky and Valerie were sitting on a couch drinking soda and a girl I didn't know was sitting on the opposite couch staring at the t.v. screen. But she looked familiar.

Becky wore a red dress a little longer than Marissa's and her blond hair was pulled into a high ponytail. Her make up was perfectly done and she would look perfect if she wasn't scowling at me. Valerie wore a silk white dress that made a diagnol cut from one side to the other. Her red hair was put into bouncy curls and when she saw me she ran and gave me a hug. 

"Hey Casey!" She squeezed me cutting off air supply. I only met her once and already I could tell that she was a little too hyper. She pulled away and beamed at me. "This is Rein," she introduced the dark skin girl in the purple dress. 

"Hey Rein," I smiled at the girl who continued to ignore me.

"Oh don't worry about her. Let's just take you upstairs," Marissa said and grabbed my hand to lead me to her room. Her room was very simple without any decorations with beige walls and white furniture and bed. 

"Wow Marissa, I love what you've done with your room," I teased and she rolled her eyes. 

"Like I love those paper weapons in your room. Try using that on a burglar and see if you make it out alive." 

"While they're laughing at my weapons I'll have time to call the police."

"Shut up Casey and pick a dress," Marissa said smiling as she looked through her closet. "Do you want one like mine or something a little different?" 

"A lot different please. I don't think I could handle a dress like yours." When I told her I would just wear one of my own dresses she freaked out so I just told her I'll take one of hers. Then after the party I was to sleep over and give her back her dress. 

"Nonsense Casey, you could handle it and I know Henry will love it." 

I was starting to think what my mom said about Marissa might be true. 

"How about this one?" she asked pulling out a light blue dress with thin straps. The skirt was loose, unlike hers, and had a black pattern on the bottom which stopped just before my knees.

I smiled. "Perfect."

After giving me a pair of flats- since I wouldn't wear any heels for fear of falling since I could barely walk on my own- she left me to change. I twirled in front of the mirror and smiled to myself. I did look really pretty like a baby kitten. Marissa came back in and smiled at me. 

"You look gorgeous Case. Now let's do something about your hair and make up." 

After half an hour, my make up was done and my hair was straightened with my bangs pinned back. We fought about the idea of wearing contacts but I won and I put my glasses on with pride. She dragged me downstairs where they all were still in the same positions. 

"Aww look at her!" Valerie said and rushed toward me. "She looks so cute!" 

"T-thanks," I said as once again she hugs me. She was definitely someone I didn't have to try hard to get friendship. Unlike Becky who hasn't ever smiled at me once or Rein who completely ignore me. 

"Doesn't she look nice? Becky? Rein?" Valerie said to the two. 

"Sure," Becky muttered without even looking at me. 

Well dang. 

Rein still didn't say anything. I felt as if I did something to her and she was holding a grudge. 

"Someone's on their period," Marissa muttered and squeezed my shoulder.

"Shut up Mary," Rein said and smiled at my friend. 

Oh what the heck did I do?!

"Right Rein?" I laughed but she just stared at me. 

"I like when Mary talks," Becky said and glared at me.

"Me too," Rein agreed. Maybe I should just be quiet. 

"When is Henry picking you up?" Marissa asked me.

"At eight," I told her and Becky rolled her eyes muttering something. Why did Marissa have to have mean friends?

"You'll be okay if we come a little later? We're planning on leaving here at like at least nine," Marissa said and gave me the puppy eyes. I did mind but I didn't want her friends hating me even more so I told her no. 

A couple minutes later the doorbell rang and I opened it to a smiling Henry. He was dressed casually with  black jeans and a plain grey shirt but he still looked nice. 

"Wow, you look great Casey. I feel like I under dressed," he said and smiled at me. 

"Thanks. Ready to go?" I asked and he nodded. He held out his hand and I took it as he led me toward his car.