I Will Return

CONNOR

I wake up suddenly. Something is wrong. I look at the time. It is 5 a.m., just before sunrise. I rush to the window and see something that scares me so much that I completely space out. I just stand there staring at what's happening. This can't be happening. This is not possible. Zion is impregnable. This can't be happening. I have to do something.

I break away from the shock and rush to Sam's room. She has just woken up.

"Connor what's happening? Did you hear that?" she asks.

"Sam we need to hurry," I say.

"What do you mean? What's happening?" she asks getting out of her bed.

"Just hurry and get your weapons. We need to help them," I say.

"Help who? You don't mean that," she says realizing what I mean but I interrupt her and say, "Yes, Sam, Zion is under attack."

As soon as I say this, I can see the shock and fear on her face. She has the same expression that she had when her parents died. One of fear. One of losing everything she cares about. She gets up and takes out her weapons. She has a lot of weapons for a single person.

We get ready as fast as possible. We take our weapons. She takes her sword. She gives me a sword. I think this is Max's old sword. We take the rocket shoes and head out on our bikes.

The attack was on Luna. The city is completely destroyed. Hellfire surprised Zion. Many people are lying dead on the ground. Some are fighting Hellfire soldiers.

"How did Hellfire get inside?" I ask Sam. "Isn't Zion supposed to be impregnable."

"I have no idea. There is a traitor in Zion," she replies. "The worst thing is that the traitor is one of the Leaders."

"What do you mean?! The traitor is one of the Leaders! But how?" I ask.

"If you notice there is no smoke or anything in the direction of the wall. The only destruction you see is at the Luna and nearby area. Nobody should be able to enter Zion by air but, it seems like Hellfire just did," she says.

"What are you getting at?" I ask.

"This can only mean one thing that someone took down the force field. Entire Zion is vulnerable to attack. The only people with access to the room that controls the force field are the Leaders," she says.

"This is bad. If the culprit is one of the Leaders then the people will suspect you the most. After all you're an ex-Hellfire," I say.

"I know. And to make it worse you need a certain level of technical knowledge to turn off the force field. Out of the Leaders only Jonathan and I have such knowledge. They'll never suspect Jonathan," she says. I can't see her face due to the helmet but I know that she is probably terrified. She just got back a family and she is gonna lose it again.

"What do we do now?" I ask.

"We've no other choice except to save Zion from Hellfire before the people decide to kill us," she says.

"Might as well do some good," I say.

We reach the Luna. We see bodies of soldiers from both communities lying on the ground. The only difference here is that it's only the zionians who are dead not those Hellfire scum. Seeing all these good people dead just fills me with anger. The Hellfire scum better fear me as they know what happens when I'm angry.