Part 69 - New Hope

Start from the beginning

"Nia Llewellyn," Fion said, beaming.

I pulled the sheets up firmly, once my hand was released in favour of cradling the baby. Then I shouted over my shoulder, "You can come in now."

Rhys was through the door before I had even finished speaking and knelt at the side of the bed. Rhodric followed at a slower pace, and behind him I could see a crowd of faces just waiting their turn. They would have all heard the gender and name, thanks to their wolves. So I didn't have to break the silence as Rhys leant over to grin at the baby.

There was awe in his voice. "She's beautiful."

"She is," Rhodric agreed. "Well done, Fion. That was the quietest childbirth I've heard in a long time."

I noticed Leo and beckoned him in. My mate hovered at my shoulder and smiled in a way that made me wish we had our own children. He leant forwards to whisper in my ear, "I want one."

I gave him a shrug. "And you'll get one, just not for a while. I need a few more months of freedom before I start popping out pups."

Maggie had already started ushering people out. "You can all coo at the baby as long as you like later. Right now, this poor girl needs a rest."

Cassidy and Tally shuffled towards the door with Leo not far behind them. I didn't envy them the job of explaining to all the boys that they couldn't visit right now. Then my honorary grandmother turned her attention to Rhys and me.

"You too, troublemakers. Let her sleep."

I noticed that she didn't try and order Rhodric out.

"It's okay," Fion murmured. Her eyes had already drifted shut. "They can stay. Thank you for everything, Maggie."

She clucked her tongue. "You're very welcome, honey."

Then Maggie was gone, and we had the room to ourselves. My brother turned his attention back to his niece. "May I...?"

Fion nodded in a well, duh sort of way without even opening her eyes. She trusted him, of course. Rhys took the baby from her with astonishing gentleness and cradled her in one arm. I could hear him humming some sort of lullaby under his breath.

"You're a real softie sometimes, little brother," I teased him.

"Shut up and say hi to Nia," he replied. "We're going to spoil this kid rotten."

I laughed. "Obviously. Look at us all. Such grown-up, responsible parents. If I think really hard, I can still remember the little ginger runt I met in that cave, and the not-so-little idiot who chased me through a forest."

Now Fion was looking wide awake, a faint smile on her lips. "Ah, those were the days. Some filthy waif fell out of the sky in front of me and I've never quite been able to get rid of her since." 

Nia started crying, a loud screech which instantly put me off my niece. Babies were cute, sure, but they cried and made a lot of mess. Leo and I could definitely wait a few years for the joys of parenting. Rhys frowned, probably wondering if he'd done something wrong.

"I don't think she likes me."

"There's a surprise," I sniggered.

Rhodric shook his head wearily. "She's just hungry. You would be, too, if you'd spent the last six months in a womb. Give her to me."

Rhys was only too happy to hand her over. And then Rhodric was smiling down at his granddaughter. He seemed to know what he was doing. Seconds later, she fell quiet, blinking up at him with more alertness than I reckoned a newborn should have. "Yes. She's hungry. And that is a job for her mother."