Chapter 6

~Hazel Lynn Maddax~

Stubbornly huff at his words, I pace around the room. "That does not make any sense." I spin to face him. "Are you sitting here telling me that, the only alpha born bloodlines have only been males?" 

"What is your last name now?" Alpha Aeryn ignores my question to ask his own.

I am sure that I most like sneered at him. If I did, he completely ignored it. "Maddax." I cross my arms over my chest out of uneasiness. 

He nods and crosses his arms over his chest, mimicking me. I can tell that he is deep into thought by the little wrinkle of his nose. His index finger rests on the side of his mouth and I only know that he is deep in thought, because I have the same quirk. 

No, Hazel! This man in front of you is not your father. Your father was killed in a rouge attack when you were just a child! This man is a stranger. Someone I only just met less than an hour ago. 

"Good." He drops his hands to the desk in front of him. "If others were to find out that your last name is Karp. Don't-

"Wait! Karp, as in Alex Karp? The boy who we met at the gate?" 

Alpha Aeryn's mouth seems to just open and close several times before he finally decides to answer. "Y-yes. Alex is...um...your twin? I guess you could say."

"Twin?" My head drops into my hands. "And just when was anyone going to tell me anything?" 

Before Alpha Aeryn could say anything, I run out of his office. I am not willing to listen to anything else he has to say right now. I would rather be around Felix than listen the stories or excuses they have for me. 

In my rush to get away from the office, I round the corner, running into someone with a stack of papers. I end up on my ass with the papers scattered around on the floor. A girl with dark curly brown hair is scrambling around on the floor to pick the papers up. On my knees, I help her. 

"I am sorry about that." I apologize as we stand up. "I should have been watching where I was going."

She shakes her head and smiles at me. "It's okay. It actually happens to me quite often." 

I smile. "What's your name?"

She purses her lips together and glances around.  "Elise. Elise Butcher."

"Hazel Maddax. Pleased to meet you, Elise." I smile at her warmly. "I would shake your hand, but it seems to me you have a hand full." 

"A pleasure to meet you miss Maddox." 

I shake my head at her words. "Please just call me Hazel. No need for formalities." 

"Of course, my apologies but I must be going. Alpha Aeryn is expecting these." 

She rushes past me with a smile. 

"Oh!" I call out to her before she turns the corner. "Can you tell me where the kitchen is? I'm sort of lost."

"Down the hall, turn left, and then it's the first on the right." She calls out to me without missing a beat. 

"Thank you, Elise."

Following Elise's instructions, I go down the hall, take a left, and then push through the door on the right. As I walk through the door, I can smell Felix's sweet scent in the room. 

Sweet? 

Hell no I did not just think that.

"Hazel!" Felix snaps me out of my thoughts when he sees me walk through the door. He pats the spot next to him. "Welcome back!" He says as I take the seat next to him.