"Sure, sure. Oh, uh, you had a meeting, didn't you?" Mr. Urie asks politely.

"Oh! That's right, goodness. How the time flies. Alright, well the meeting is going to run late, no doubt, so will you be okay locking up after me? I'll leave the keys. Thank you so much, Brendon. Have fun!" Ms Phillips doesn't wait for the poor man to reply. She gathers her folders and rushes out of the room, closing the door behind her, in her usual hurried pace.

"Um... sure." Mr. Urie slowly puts his clipboard down and picks up the keys Ms. Phillips placed on the table, putting them in his pocket.

I feel sorry for him. First day on the job, and he's left behind while Ms. Phillips hangs out with the rest of the staff, discussing actual, relevant, important, education-related topics. Mr. Urie slowly turns around to face me, and leans backwards on the teacher's desk. "So, you're Grace?" He asks, slowly.

"Yeah. And you're Mr. Urie?" I ask jokingly. He doesn't laugh. I hate myself.

"You know what, don't worry about that 'Mr. Urie' business. It's after school. Just call me Brendon." He says casually as he walks towards the desk in front of me. He pulls out the chair, which makes an aggressive screech, causing us both to cringe. "Sorry," he mutters as he sits down.

"Sit down, take a load off," I joke again, growing more embarrassed with each passing second. He smiles this time. Thank god.

"So what are you working on at the moment?"

"Not drowning in my own tears." When I get nervous, every single word I say is a lame joke, and it is not a fun time. He chuckles, though, comforting me a little bit.

"Same, but what are you working on there?" He points to my open binder. I'm glad he embraces my joke. What a nice man.

"Oh, I'm just trying to smash out a couple of practice essays on To Kill a Mockingbird."

"Do you mind?" He asks as he reaches for my essay. I shake my head and unclip my binder, handing him the papers. He studies them, taking a few minutes to read through the four pages I passed him. As he's reading, I have no idea what to do with myself so I just stare at the page, glancing between the faint hint of my scribbly writing through the back of the paper, and his furrowed brows. He quietly mouths the words as he reads them, while his dark brown eyes dart across the page. I begin to admire the details of his face, noticing the light stubble that accents his smooth, flawless skin, the delicate, light brown freckles that spatter across his nose and cheeks. He has such large eyes, framed behind his thick, black glasses and his surprisingly dark eyelashes. My attention moves lower, towards his mouth, which continues to mime the words on the page. His lips are so full, I'm almost jealous. And his teeth are perfectly aligned. He must've had braces at one point, for sure. I wish I had had braces. Maybe then I, too, could have perfect teeth.

"This is really good, Grace," he jolts me awake from my trance-like state.

"Oh, uh, um... T-thank you. It's kind of a work in progress, but it's, uh, it's getting there I guess-" I stutter uncomfortably.

"Well, keep working hard. I'll just sit up the front, so if you need anything, just yell out." Wait, no. Don't leave yet.

"How is university?" It was the first question I could think of. I really didn't want to 'keep working hard'.

"It's alright I guess, kind of stressful, challenging, you know, that kind of thing." He begins to tell me about his classes and his teachers, and the backstory to why he's at our school. He runs on a tangent, but I kind of like it. In fact, I really enjoyed listening to his stories of school. I'll be starting next year and I wanted as much information as I could retain. The conversation turns back to me and my plans for university. I explain to him that I want to do a course in forensic psychology.

"Wow, that's pretty cool. I considered doing a psychology field before choosing teaching, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to handle the intensity." He's beginning to get more comfortable, which I find contagious. We chat for what seems like minutes, but becomes hours. My phone chimes, causing us both to look down at the bright screen. "Jesus, it's five o'clock already," I say quietly.

"That went quicker than I expected. You probably want to go home, Grace." I don't know why but it feels so good when he says my name. Almost like I am privileged to be mentioned by him. 

"Yeah probably, my stomach isn't growling for fun." Again with the lame jokes, for Christ's sake. He actually chuckles this time, probably acknowledging the fact that my stomach has actually been rumbling during our entire conversation, we both just ignored it. I pick up my books and shove them into my bag as hard as I can. I lift the bag onto the desk, to refrain from breaking my back by straining to carry it from the floor. I raise the straps onto my shoulders and begin to head out the door.

"Wait, do you have a lift home?" Mr. Urie asks. Shit, do I even have any money? I check my pocket for loose change. Thankfully, I pull out a few notes, and some coins.

"Yeah, I think I'm good. The last bus doesn't leave until 5:15."

"Are you sure?" He asks, with a surprisingly concerned look on his face.

"Yeah, I'm a big girl, I think I can manage," I say with a smile plastered across my dumb face. "Thanks again, for your help, and I'm sorry you had to stay back."

"Are you kidding? I had a good time, I'd rather a proper conversation than staring at the back of twenty heads and listening to Atticus' number one fan talk about the 'pride in his stride' for 45 straight minutes." It's not just Dawn and myself who notice Ms. Phillips' crush. I laugh and wave goodbye as I head out of the classroom, and eventually the main hall doors. I sit at the bus stop and plug my earphones in, to drown out the sound of the evening traffic. I keep thinking about our conversation and how the hours flew by. I think the next few weeks with Mr. Urie – or 'Brendon' – will be okay.

A/N: this is my first ever chapter of anything I have ever written lmao please leave feedback, bash me, praise me, i don't care, any criticism is appreciated 

if anybody is even reading this, ill try and pump out as many chapters as fast as possible

thank you!