Chapter One

"This day could honestly not go any slower than it is right now." Dawn says to me with an obnoxious eye roll.

"Literally just fucking kill me right now. That guy's locker door could bash me in the face and I could fall on the floor and just die right now and I wouldn't care."

"Woah, alright, relax a little, Jesus Christ. It's almost the weekend and we only have," I glance down at my watch, "about fifty minutes left."

"Urgh, yes but we have English, and I do not want to listen to Ms. Phillips swoon over Atticus Finch again," Dawn groans. I shut my locker door and Dawn and I make our way to room 406 to finish off our day, finally.

We saunter into class along with about eighteen other lifeless, tired students. It's senior year and we have just a few weeks before mid-year exams begin, so needless to say, nobody is really having a good time.

"Good afternoon everyone. As you were coming in, you may have noticed we have a special guest today, Mr. Urie." Ms. Phillips gestures towards the back of the class as every single head whips around to see a young man, only a few years older than us, standing behind a desk. He's wearing a slightly wrinkled, white shirt and a black vest (who wears vests anymore?), on top of his black skinny jeans. He awkwardly runs his hand through his dark hair as he waves to the class before sitting down. Most of the class turns back around, less than enthused about his presence. Ms. Phillips continues her introduction, "Mr. Urie is joining us until exam period as part of his university course. Please make him feel welcome." I turn back around to glance at this 'Mr. Urie', to find him already looking at me. He meets my eyes with a smile, and I quickly tear my gaze away, shuffling in my seat. That was awkward. I look over to Dawn who is biting her lip and mouths the words "I'd bang", while wiggling her eyebrows. I chuckle under my breath before opening my binder.

After what seems like an eternity, Ms. Phillips finally wraps up the class and re-addresses our teacher's aid. "Don't forget, the English mid-year is the 6th of June, so we only have about three weeks left. Mr. Urie will be available after this period every day until exams, if you need help," she shuffles her papers and quickly looks back up to the class, "Oh! And don't forget, essays are due by 7pm on Sunday. Anything submitted later than that will not be marked." Shit. I haven't finished my essay. Fuck. "You coming, Grace?" Dawn turns to me before stepping out of the classroom. I am standing behind my desk, still, even though the entire class has left.

"Uh, actually, I think I might stay. I kind of have to finish this essay before tomorrow. I've got volleyball this weekend, remember?"

"Oh, that's right. Yeah, well enjoy yourself, have lots of fun!" she gives me a sarcastic, toothy grin.

"Ah, you're staying for help, are you Grace?" Ms. Phillips looks up at me through her tortoise shell spectacles.

"Yes, unfortunately. I've almost finished my essay though."

"Great! I have so many more prompts to give you. I think you could do really well this year if you put in the effort," she exclaims as she hands me what looks like an entire tree's worth of paper covered in essay prompts. The stack is heavier than I thought, so I slowly sort them into my folder. Mr. Urie walks past me from the back of the class to Ms. Phillips' desk. I almost forgot he was even in the room.

"So, Brendon, how was that?" Ms Phillips asks with a wide smile.

"It was... a little intimidating, I won't lie." He taps his pen against his clipboard.

"I'm sure you'll be fine after a few classes, especially when more students begin to stay after school." Ha, as if these kids are going to voluntarily stay after school to do MORE work. Keep dreaming, Miss.