Jamie Benn (Dallas Stars)

"Mommy! Daddy? Have you seen Pawlie?" I heard my 4 year old daughter, Ellie yell. Pawlie was Jamie and I's horrible excuse of a pet name pun. Ellie had never expressed any interest on getting a pet until the first round of the playoffs, of course. So we had to explain to our little Ellie Bellie that we couldn't get a dog yet, so we bought her a stuffed dog to suffice. For the last 2 weeks, Pawlie has never left the hands of Ellie, until, well right now. "I haven't seen him baby, I'm sorry. Where was the last place you had Pawlie?" Jamie asked and she thought for a second before responding. "Umm, well it was, at school I think." She admitted and I sighed. "Well baby, the school's closed so we're gonna have to wait to call and see if they have Pawlie. It looks like you'll be spending the night without Pawlie, I'm sorry sweetie." I told her and she frowned. "But I can't sleep without Pawlie, Mommy! I haven't slept without Pawlie since we bought her and I can't have today be the first day!" She pouted, tears starting to well up in her brown eyes, which she had seemingly inherited from her father. "How about you sleep with me and Mommy in our bed tonight? Hopefully that will help you sleep. And right when the school opens tomorrow, we'll go get Pawlie, okay?" Jamie told her and she nodded reluctantly. We walked upstairs to Ellie's room and grabbed her pillow and the other 2 things she can't sleep without, the blanket with pictures of her and the whole team on there, (she says it's for Daddy but we all know it's really because she loves Uncle Tyler and Uncle Rous) and her Jamie plush doll. We bought it for her for Christmas as a joke and it is her favorite thing in the world, especially when Jamie is gone. We walked back into our room and climbed into bed. Ellie laid in between the 2 of us and soon enough, I was out like a light.
­­­­------
I woke up to the sound of Jamie talking. I figured it was morning so I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and rolled over to see what time it was. My eyes widened when I saw that it was not 8 am and in fact 2 am. I blinked twice to see if I was seeing things, but it was definitely 2 am. I groaned and rolled over. When I rolled over, I discovered that Jamie was in fact n​ot​ talking but singing to Ellie. I couldn't quite make out what he was singing, but when I did, I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry. My Jamie, my 6 foot something, 200 hundred pound, hockey playing Jamie was singing K​elsea Ballerini. Granted that was our song, to say the least and we danced to it at our wedding, but it's just funny (and very adorable) to see him ​sing​to it. "If you're gonna hold me, hold me like I'm leaving, if you're gonna kiss me, kiss me like you mean it. Baby if you're not your best, get to leaving, if you're gonna love me, love me like you mean it." Jamie sang to Ellie and I watched her eyes droop. Her eyes closed all the way, her breathing steadied, and soon enough she was out like a light. "You have a really great singing voice, you know?" I joked and Jamie jumped, clearly not knowing I was awake. "You scared me." He muttered and reached his arms out and grabbed me, pulling me into his lap. He pushed my hair out of my face and placed a soft kiss on my lips. "Did I wake you up?" He asked, playing with stray hairs. "Ya, but it's okay." I assured him and he smiled. "Ellie couldn't sleep without Pawlie so I sang to her to make her feel better." He admitted and I smiled. "You are the best father and husband I could ever ask for." He smiled and kissed my forehead, releasing me from his arms and I laid down next to him, Ellie on the edge of the bed. "I love you." He whispered and I placed a kiss on his collarbone. "I love you. Thank you for being the best dad Ellie and I could ever ask for."

sorry for the wait! it was my last week of school and with exams and stuff I had to put my work first but I got out of school yesterday so I should be more active in my updates! check out my new book "stuff" and my other book "100 things to be happy for!" thank you so much! ❤️