Chapter 20

Izzy POV

Izzy didn't know what to expect, she had attended a few funerals throughout the years, two of her grandparents had passed away during her childhood, a girl she went to school with had died in a car accident the year before, and there had been a couple of her parents' friends and relatives throughout the years, but none of that helped her here. Not when it was werewolves, not when they were murdered, and not when she had been a part of the reason why they had died. And yeah, maybe, it wasn't directly tied to her, after all Rowan had admitted they were after him, but it had been her standing in the middle of the blood bath. Her that Olivia, Austin, and even Hayden had had to protect. Her that they had called others to come to the rescue of.

The guilt and reality hit her like a ton of bricks. They had died, been killed, slaughtered, just like that. All for what? For power?

She turned to look at Rowan, his face a careful mask, emotions hidden behind grey storm clouds - all of this was just for the chance to get their hands on him? It was stupid, horrible, terrible. She felt her heart break. She was alive, and they were dead. How was it fair?

Trying to stay strong she focused on the feel of Rowan pressed against her side, the heat of his body keeping the chill of the pre-dawn morning from settling over her, the feel as his hand sitting heavily and securely on her hip, his fingers splayed out, thumb drawing those same small circles on her waist. She took a deep breath; I can do this.

"What happens?" Izzy asked, shrinking into Rowan's side as they followed Hayden and Olivia through the grey predawn light. Hayden and the twins a step behind them. Those that had been huddled in the kitchen pouring out and trailing after them.

Rowan looked down at her, his eyes softening as he took in her expression. The hand on her waist tightening. "Maleco and the higher ranked will have already gathered at midnight. The Alpha and family will have stood vigil with the bodies. The pack will come with the light of dawn, to watch the passage of those lost from the moon's gaze and into the slumber of the day. "

"What does that mean?" She felt stupid for the question, knowing that she should understand, but her human brain, her human understanding and limited experience couldn't make sense of his explanation.

"Every pack member, save those on patrol, will make their way to the pyre's where the Alpha and family's wait, we will arrive as the sun crests the edge of the world, as her light touches our soil, fire will touch their beds, and with fire they will be returned to the goddess and mother, under the eye of the day. For the moon is for the fighting; day rebirth." Rowan explained. His head bent his voice dropping to a whisper, his next words for her ears alone. "They will set the pyres on fire at the first rays of sunlight, we will stand watch, silent and strong until they are consumed. Those that wish will then be able to step forward; say goodbye or approach the family and Alpha, then we shall dissipate. The final return of the bodies to the ground is reserved for the family alone. Maleco can stay if he feels like doing so."

"Could you stay?" Izzy asked, trying to weasel out an answer of his place in these strange complex hierarchies playing out around her.

"If I wished too? Yes, I could stay. I have the authority to demand to stand witness to their final departure."

Izzy nodded when he gave the answer she had been expecting, cementing certain details in her mind. "But you won't?"

"No. The family wishes to grieve in private, I will not force my presence on them simply to fulfill my own conscious."

She looked up at him sharply, she caught the emotion before he quickly hid it – guilt.

"It wasn't your fault Rowan." She said lowly. Careful to make sure no one would overhear. She didn't think Rowan would want those around them to know what he was so desperately trying to hide.