Start Again (part 3)

Start from the beginning

-Ask to meet in a park? (May be too cliche?)

- Ask to meet at Lucky Cat Cafe? 

-Surprise him at his office?

How on earth were you going to do this? 

You stared at the words you had hastily typed out, and crossed off the first option of texting Hiro and the last option of surprising him at his office. 

Better to call him rather than text. It's just as bad as breaking up with someone over the phone... and if he does hate me, it's probably not a good idea to surprise him at his office. I really don't want this to be awkward. 

But you knew it probably would be. 

Sighing at your negative thoughts, you tapped the screen in front of you in order to select a movie. This was going to be the longest flight of your life. 

~~~~~~

You stand in front of the cafe, wringing your hands as you paced around the outside. Inside, you could see happy customers chatting to one another, laughing merrily as they sipped their coffees, or bit into their donuts. What you would give to be in that position with Hiro right now. 

Through the bustling crowd of the San Fransokians, you kept your eyes peeled for him. You very rarely saw him even while you were together, save for webcam calls. It had been thirteen long years, and he'd probably changed a lot... No. Wait. Was that...? No, it's not. Thank goodness. Wait, he's coming towards you... Yes. He was. 

"(y/n)." You hear him say as he approached you. Your head and heart were pounding, and your palms felt sweaty. 

"Hiro..." you breathed, taking in his face. He had grown much taller and his cheekbones were now more prominent than before. 

That was where the good changes ended.

You could see many wrinkles across his once smooth skin. His twinkling eyes had gone, replaced with a cold, hard glare; and the light that you swore once surrounded him had now turned into a shadow. He was either working far too hard and driving himself into the ground, or his hatred for you was so strong that it showed physically. It was probably the latter.  

"It's really good to see you again." You say, pouring as much meaning into it as you could. 

The cold glare didn't change. 

"You've got a lot of nerve, calling me out here." 

You knew it. 

He hated you. 

"If you're mad about me hanging up so suddenly, please let me expla-"

"I know why. You didn't tell me right off the bat that we were live on radio? Are you kidding me? What were you trying to do, make a fool out of me?"

His accusation sent a cold chill all over your body. "No, of course not! I would never do that to you!" 

"Do you have any idea what you've done to me?" He asked, coming up close to you and backing you up. Sneering would never suit a handsome face like his. It made him look menacing and downright terrifying. 

You had never been so afraid before. 

"N-no...?" You stammered out, staring into his once bright hazel eyes, searching for any remnants of  the old Hiro, the one that was here only a few hours before, in the morning. 

"Everybody was listening to that broadcast, my boss included. You-" and he jabbed a finger on your chest painfully, "got me fired from my dream career. I've got nothing left."