Still Into You (part 2)

As soon as Hiro heard the front door opening, he shot out of his seat and rushed toward you, his heart pounding and hoping against hope that you were okay. Sure enough, he found you at the front step, taking off your soaked shoes and squeezing all the water out of your hair, making a small puddle on the spot in front of you.

"(y/n), oh thank goodness you came back; I thought maybe you wouldn't, oh you must be freezing-" You didn't really pay attention to his ramblings, you didn't want to. Not right now, after what you've decided to do. Instead you brushed past him, walking into the bathroom that was thankfully near the front door.

"...(y/n)? I am so, so sorry for what I said to you, I really didn't mea-"

The door swung closed in his face. He sighed half in sadness and half in frustration, running his hands through his hair. He wasn't going to give up. Not now, not ever.

In the bathroom, you wrung out your wet clothes, setting them on the edge of the bathtub and pulling on a bathrobe. Reaching into the cabinet, you take out your hairdryer and begin drying your hair. The warmth of the hairdryer was like heaven to you after walking about in pouring rain for so long. You ran your fingers through your hair, getting it as dry as possible before turning your hairdryer to your clothes. When you figured they were dry enough, you switched off the hairdryer and slipped back into them. They were still a little damp and a little bit cold, but it would have to do until you went back upstairs. After all, you didn't want to leave puddles everywhere.

Taking a deep breath, you turn the door handle only to find Hiro on the other side, patiently waiting for you.

You're still here? You think to yourself incredulously. You thought for sure you'd have to go looking for him.

"(y/n), please listen to me," he began, gently gripping your shoulders so you wouldn't leave. "I didn't mean what I said. Any of it. I was just stressed with my work; you know how I am, it's either do or don't with me."

"I know, Hiro," you sigh, looking away. "It...It hasn't really been easy being with you, you know?"

He frowned at your statement. You didn't seem angry with him, in fact you seemed more hurt than anything. You didn't have the heart to snap at him or brush him off and you certainly didn't want to end this relationship on a bad note. After all, even after all of this, you still cared about his feelings. You still loved him.

"What do you mean?" He pressed, rubbing your arms comfortingly.

"I mean," you began, finally looking up at him. "You're a part-time college student, and a part time superhero. I understand you were busy, I get it. I really do. But these past few weeks, I never get the chance to see you anymore. Lately you've been devoting more and more time to more robotic inventions, and that's great. Really. Not many 19 year olds can invent and build robots like you can. I am proud that you can do all of that, really. But it's gotten to the point where you dash out the door the minute the college doors open and you stay there until the last second before it closes. Whenever you do come home a little earlier, there's someone else in the city calling for help. I miss you Hiro, and it hurts. It really does." You take a deep breath, willing away the tears. He was staring at you, open-mouthed in shock. He didn't know that he'd been causing you this much pain, and he was starting to really regret the past few weeks.

"Oh (y/n)..." He began, but you cut him off quietly.

"I do understand, really. Your school years are important, and so is saving innocent lives. Maybe... maybe we're not ready for this," you admitted your thoughts, looking at the wall behind him.

He could feel his heart drop to his stomach at your painful words. "What...?"

"With one less thing off your mind," you elaborated, "You could focus more on your life. You were right, I'm a burden right now. With me gone, you can concentrate better. Maybe someday will be a better time for us, but for now... this is just an endless cycle. You go to your lab at 6:30 in the morning, you stay there until 11pm, you sleep at near 12am and then the whole thing starts again. Maybe now isn't the time." You said, smiling sadly up at him. He shook his head, not wanting to believe you meant what you were saying.

"If it helps... It's not that I don't care about you anymore," you murmured, seeing his crestfallen face. "I still do with all my heart, and that makes it all the more difficult because I want to be with you more than anything, spend the rest of my life with you, but I just can't put my feelings at risk anymore." One small tear slipped down your cheek. "I wish things were different."

Your little speech finished, you moved away from Hiro and began to move towards your room to pack your things up. All was said and done.

His mind numb from shock at what you had to say, he realised just how important you were to him. You really meant it. You really meant to break up with him. Oh god, how stupid was he? All these past weeks, he never even attempted to talk to you... just how lonely had you felt? How much time did you spend looking at the clock, waiting for him to come home? How happy did you feel to finally see him come through the door, only for him to say a quick hello and disappear again?

"(y/n), wait!" He snapped back to clarity, running after you and grabbing hold of your jacket sleeve. You shake your head, trying to pull your hand away.

"Please don't make this any harder than it has to be," you whispered, staring ahead at your shared bedroom door.

"No please, just...just give me five minutes," he pleaded with you. Your shoulders slumped and you turned back towards him. He immediately pulled you close into the safe haven of his arms, and you could feel your heart becoming fluttery and light again. Only Hiro could ever have this effect on you.

"I am so, so sorry for hurting you to this extent," he murmured, hugging you tightly. "After what you told me, I understand now just what a jerk I've been. (y/n), what I said before, I didn't mean it, I can promise you that. You're everything to me, and I do need you. I need you around to encourage me, to push me when I'm not working hard enough, and to push me to take a break when I've worked too much without realising it. I need you when I'm having a rough day and only you can comfort me. I need you to be here to come home to, or there's no point in coming back at all." You listen to his soothing voice, your heart pounding at his heartfelt words.

"(y/n), I need you. Please give me another chance, I can't ever imagine loving another girl as much as I love you. I love your smile, and your personality. I love your silky hair, and I love your odd habits. I love every last bit of you, even if I don't always show it..."

Neither of you said anything for a moment, Hiro reminiscing on what you said before, and you still trying to reel in what he was telling you.

"Hiro..."

"When I'm at the lab," he began, cutting you off, "whenever something goes wrong with one of my robots, when I want to give up because I'm so frustrated, all I have to do is think of you and your smile. Our first date. Our first kiss. And I remember why I'm doing what I do. I do this, because I want to make sure my prerequisites will be good enough to get a good job, so that I can support... our family."

Your breath hitched at his statement. So Hiro did want a family with you one day. He wanted to start a family with you in the future. Your breathing quickened at his last statement, unable to believe it.

"I love you, (y/n). I love you so much. I'm so sorry for how I've been acting." He murmured, pulling you closer.

"There's nothing to be sorry for," you smile a real, genuine smile. "All is forgiven."

He chuckled, leaning his forehead against yours. "You're willing to put up with me and my future mistakes?"

"After all this? Yeah," you assured, intertwining your fingers with his. They were slightly calloused from all the hard work with robots, but soft and warm just the same. As soon as your skin made contact with his, small tingles made its way to your wrist and up your forearm. He smiled, gently rubbing circles on your hands with his thumbs.

"This is worth it."

~

A/N: Thanks so much for reading!!