Chapter 20

"Amelie?" I hear Clara shout up the stairs.

I sigh, pulling myself off of my bed and putting my tablet down on my bed side table. I slowly make my way down the stairs, I'm still a bit dizzy from standing up quickly and I may fall at any second.

"What?" I ask as I emerge at the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm heading into work today, I'm needed, it's one of the kids I deal with a lot. So I'm not going to be around to do any of your bucket list today, and Harry's school is off today because the school doesn't have an electricity. What I was thinking was that you could look after Harry for me today?"

"Of course," I smile, Harry is kind of cute, he's grown on me.

"Thank you," Clara smiles, "your Dad has already left for work and Alex and I are just in our way out now. Harry is all ready, don't let him watch TV all day and I will be back at 5pm at the latest."

"Ok, that all sounds fine," I nod. Clara seems satisfied with this and grabs her briefcase and keys and makes her way out to her car.

I head through to the living room to find Harry sprawled across the sofa, remote in hand and TV blaring.

"Hey, so I'm looking after you today, how exciting is that?" I smile brightly at him as I sit at the edge of the sofa that Harry is currently hogging.

"Mum told me, it's going to be great, I can show you all my favourite programmes and apps," Harry bounces about on the sofa.

I laugh, "it's a nice day, how about we go out? We could go to that park you like down the road?"

Harry thinks about for a second, "ok, but after my programme is finished."

"That sounds like a plan," I tell him.

I take the time I have to finish the episode I was watching on Netflix before Clara called me down, it's getting pretty intense. As the episode draws to a close, Harry bounces through the doorway, announcing that his programme is finished.

We head down stairs and I lace up my Converse as Harry pulls the velcro over on his trainers. I grab my phone and house keys, shoving them in the pocket of my jean shorts and head out, holding Harry's hand.

We take the short walk to the park, the sun already blaring down on top of us. Harry runs on ahead as we near the park and I slow down. As I approach the park I can already see Harry playing with another little boy and an older girl is swinging slowly on a swing. 

I decide that I might as well join her, I grab the swing next to her and lower myself into it, giving the girl next to me a small smile.

"I'm Amelie," I tell the girl, who looks about sixteen.

The girl seems surprised I said anything, but replies none the less, "Emma."

"Who's the kid?" I ask.

"My younger cousin, Ethan, he's over visiting and of course that means I have to baby sit," Emma says with a frown.

"That's Harry, my step brother, and I'm also baby sitting." I smile.

"You're not from here are you?" Emma asks, a smile playing at her lips.

"No, I'm from Scotland, I'm here for my summer holiday. What's your excuse for not being in school?"

"Pulled out for the week, my family is very big on family time. They got the whole extended family round," she shakes her head, "there must be over forty of us all under the one roof."

"Wow, no wonder you are here, it sounds intense," I tell her.

"Very,"  she nods.

After a moment of silence watching Harry and Ethan play Emma turns to me, "I like you."

"Thanks, you seem great as well,"  I smile.

After that we spent a couple of hours chatting, and only stopped when Harry said he was hungry so we went home. However, not before getting Emma's number.

***

"Amelie?" Harry shouts up the stairs.

"Two seconds," I tell Emma over the phone through her fit of giggles, "Harry is calling."

After Emma calms down she replies, "that's alright, I will call you back later, my Mums shouting me anyway."

With that we said goodbye and I rushed down to Harry. Overall this day has been pretty good, I even made a friend. That brings my total up to two whole friends. Aren't I doing well? Note the sarcasm.