Girl Meets Smackle

{History Class}
Rowan's POV

"Ancient Greece." Mr Matthews started the lesson.

"What that? What that that?" Riley asked her father.

"What's this? It's a present." He answered calmly.

"Is it for me?" Riley asked hopefully.

"Whats your game Matthews?" I asked narrowing my eyes.

"Game? I run no game. I just want to see who in here wants this present." He answered.

Everyone raised there hands except me and Maya.

"Oh Rowan,Maya you two think by playing hard to get,I'm going to give it to one of you?" Mr Matthews asked.

"Well yes." Maya started.

"That's one of the arrows in our quivers." I finished and Farkle shuddered.

"Medieval talk. What are you doing to me women?" Farkle asked and I shrugged.

"Riley." Mr Matthews said putting the gift on her desk.

"Yay!" She cheered happily.

She opened the box and pulled out a chalk board that said "The Trojan Horse."

"The Trojan Horse?" Riley asked her father.

"Surprise." Mr Matthews said.

"This isn't a present." Riley said disappointed.

"This is one of your life lessons,wrapped up in one of your class lessons. That was wrapped into a box of nothing." Riley said angrily.

"How ya doing honey?" Maya asked.

"I'm all worked up!" Riley pouted.

"We know." I said.

"You assumed that because it was all wrapped up nice and pretty something good was inside." Mr Matthews said.

"Ancient Troy was protected by walls.The Greeks couldn't get in." Mr Matthews started todays lesson.

"So they built a wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think they did?" Mr Matthews asked.

"They left it there because they we're afraid somebody was trying to teach them something." Riley said still on the gift thing.

"They captured it and claimed it like a trophy." Mr Matthews corrected.

"So that night Greek soldiers climbed out of the horse and defeated Troy." Mr Matthews said.

"What have we learned here?" He asked. Lucas raised his hand.

"Mr Friar."

"Don't make assumptions,based on what you see." Lucas answered.

"Riley I'm sorry I made an example out of you,here's a gift." Mr Matthews said and handed her a box.

"Ohh,no." Riley stopped herself.

"But I want to,no." Riley said.

"Pretty ribbon,no." She stopped herself again.

"I'll take my chances with that sir." Lucas said.

"No Lucas.You have to assume that the gift is no good because the first one was no good." Riley said.

"Aren't you all proud of me dad?" Riley asked with a smile.

"No." He said and her face fell.

"Two get out of detention cards." Lucas read and took out two cards.