27

"Maddie, Ash and Mike aren't answering. I need your help"

"What's wrong, Calum?" I sighed over the phone, not wanting to talk to him.

"Luke got in a fight with some guy at a party. He got beat up pretty bad, he's in the hospital"

"What do you want me to do?"

"Come here. Please. His family isn't here yet"

"What hospital?"

"St Jones, on fourth street"

"I'm just leaving"

***

"Maddie? Why are you here?"

"Calum wanted me to come"

"Oh"

"How you feeling?" I asked as I pushed his fringe back. I was the only one in the room. He'd just woke up. Calum had gone to get us coffee and his parents still weren't here yet.

"Not great. I'm surprised you came, I know you hate hospitals. And me"

"I don't hate you"

"You do"

"I don't. Not at all"

"You never talk to me"

"You messed up"

"Don't you think I know that? We could've been together for the last nine months but no, I had to fuck up"

"Luke"

"You should go home"

"I'm not going anywhere" I told him, taking his hand in mine.

"Sometimes I thank god for your stubbornness"

"Are you going tell me how all of this happened?"

"I was at a party and got into a fight"

"With who?"

"It doesn't matter"

"It does. Who, Luke?"

"Kyle Jefferies"

"Isn't he in your fraternity?"

"Yeah, he's a dick"

"What made you guys fight?"

"He was talking shit about you and how he wanted to make a move"

"It's been nine months, why are they bringing it up?"

"Because they know I still love you"

"Luke"

"Maddie, just give me another chan-"

"Luke, what happened?" We both turned to see his parents rushing into the room. "What is she doing here?"

"Mum, leave it" Luke said, holding my hand tighter from when I tried to pull it away.

"I should go"

"Don't" Luke replied, his head snapping round to face me.

"I'll just wait with the Calum outside" I told him, squeezing his hand and quickly kissing his forehead. He nodded as I let go of his hand and left the room.

"How is he?" Calum asked as I sat next to him.

"He's awake and sadly still in love with me"

"You love him back"

"Why do you think that?"

"I can just tell. You wouldn't be here if you didn't. You still care. You care too much to just tolerate him or even to just like him"

"I don't know how to feel. I want to give in and get back with him but at the same time something's telling me that I shouldn't"

"He really cares about you. He wouldn't fuck up again on purpose"

"I know"

"Why are you still here?" We turned to see Liz and Andrew walking towards us.

"She hates me" I mumbled to Calum before they were stood in front of us.

"You don't need to be here" Liz said.

"Why not? Aren't you happy that someone cares for your son?"

"I would be if it wasn't you"

"Liz, be happy that Luke has someone who cares about him. Maddie's honestly not that bad"

"She broke him"

"He broke me too"

"If Luke loves her, he loves her. If they end up married with five kids, we can't stop them. It's their lives not ours" Andrew told her.

"She's just not right for him"

"And why not? Because I'm not as rich? Not as smart? Not in as good a job as you'd like? I'd say I'm sorry but I'm not. I'm happy with the way I am. Besides I'm not with Luke anymore"

"I screamed for joy when he told me" She said and walked back in the direction of Luke's room. Andrew took a seat next to me.

"Ignore my wife. I hope you and Luke do get back together, he really loves you. Whenever I speak to him he always talks about you and how he wishes he hadn't messed up. You were only together for a couple of months but he knows what's he lost. Think about it, Maddie, please"