Smoking

Daryl's p.o.v
---

I kept close to the entrance of the cell block. I've been trying to stay close ever since Pam said Naiomi may go through labor soon. It's been tough. Carl isn't seemingly excited for this baby. No one but Pam and Naiomi are even expecting her to survive through it. I took a cigarette out of the pack I found in a stray cell. I can't bring myself to believe I will see Naiomi that way. I can't picture her beautiful eyes going dull.
She's a fighter, but nothing about Lori made me think she was weak. I don't think anyone would be able to stand another loss. Pam seems very hopeful though.
My thoughts have circulated through this for the past couple months, but after Lori died it became an unavoidable, violent thief. Im losing sleep, but all Naiomi knows is that Im always willing to play with her hair until she goes to sleep. I cannot burst her bubble, although Im sure it's not really a bubble.
She must be terrified. I've given her what encouragement I can, and am trying to make her feel secure by putting up extra measures. She still wakes up screaming some nights. She only tells me bits and pieces really, but they're enough for me. I won't pry her until later.
I lit the Marlboro special blend and took a long drag. The air doesn't seem to smell as bad, but it sure does seem bleak outside.
Definitely not lively enough for a wedding.
Im thinking that if she makes it, there's no harm in asking.
I finished half of the cigarette off and scraped it against the brick, saving the rest for later.