No Entitlement Found

As the sun set they began to leave. Glen, maggie, and most importantly Daryl. I sat in the cot and sighed. It felt good to be sitting, but the fact that the bathroom was so far away began to become annoying. I looked at the door they all left through, and saw the walker corpses stacked that used to be there, instead of the empty path way I should've viewed. I shook my head and stared hard at the door way and reality came back into focus.

Carl left and I realized I should talk to him, but it seemed so impossible. There's nothing I could say to ease his pain. Maybe thats what he needs to hear.

When I left my parents I was angry. I had something to look forward to, a life on my own. That excited me. I envisioned Disney movies, peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches , and cuddling for naps. Nothing like the reality imposed upon my son now.

I sighed again, and my sour breath made me realize I hadn't brushed my teeth in a while. Yuck.

I pushed myself up and went to my

cell, looked in my bag. My toothbrush had been long past due changing. I shrugged, and continued with my quest for clean teeth. I figured my toothpaste had been highjacked. Its good for burns, so if anyone managed to get burnt from then my toothpaste probably looked like fair game. I shrugged, and went outside Lori's old cell and grabbed my toothpaste from the pile of medical supplies. I went to my cell and started the sink so that I could brush them.

It felt different than usual, with all my plaque building up, I realized my teeth had texture and I gagged a little.

I heard Ricks cries continue, it had become white noise to me. He hadn't stopped since he found her. He didn't scream at Carl, he screamed at God. His face looked at the sky when he yelled and it always consisted if one word 'No.' As if he could reverse time by telling God that he had the wrong person. That some other pregnant woman (hey, maybe even me) should've died.

I took a deep breath in and out and loved the feeling if crisp air. Maybe it's cooled down now that its a little into the evening.

I walked to the bridge and found carl, sitting, and cleaning his gun. As I approached, he pointed his gun at me an then looked down. He lowered it, and continued cleaning.

"Sorry." He said, and he sounded alright, but his face was too devoid of emotion for it to be good.

"Its alright...." I said. I then took a deep breath in and exhaled the sweet summer air.

"I left my mom and dad on bad terms. Shes probably dead now." I began.

"So I'm pretty lucky, huh?" He said with innocence in his voice but anguish in his face.

"Not by any means. This is no world for children-" I said regretfully, realizing I'd offended him. I looked away into the scenery.

"I'm not a child-" He said as if trying to establish something.

"Then can you say you're a man? Of merely 13?"

"I shot my Mom. She was out; hadn't turned yet. I ended it. It was real." He said, with a kind of inner horror about him, but with no external frenzy about it.

"I'm sorry." I said. I turned and gathered him in my arms and didn't force the embrace, but after a second, let go. I rubbed his shoulder and let my hand fall to my waist.

" Your mom would be proud." I said with tears in my eyes.

"Thanks. Im glad my sister will have a baby to play with. It'll probably be the only kid out there by the time she grows up. But hey, a friend's a friend. Right?" He said, beginning to ramble a bit.

" Yeah... Can't take those for granted these days."