18: Thunder and Lightning

Hermione's POV

It was December 29th, two days before New Years Day. Boxing Day had come and gone, loads of photos had been taken and we had chilled for the whole day. I woke up at 1pm and stared out of the window behind my bed. Rain was pelting down at the glass and the sky rippled with flashes of thunder and lightning. It was a scary but beautiful sight.

As I stepped outside into the deserted hallway, ready to make my way to lunch, I could hear faint gasps and sobs coming from my boyfriend's room.
What the hell was happening?

I decided to find out. As I rapped on his door, the sobbing began to cease and shallow hiccups of breath came from the other side of the door.

"Draco! I'm coming in." I said firmly but there was no reply. On a first glance it looked as if the room was deserted.

The green and silver room was in pristine condition and nothing was out of place, but I knew Draco was in here by the quaking of the bedstead, from which a platinum haired boy was curled underneath.

"Draco! What's wrong? Are you hurt? What happened?" I asked him worried.

"N-n-n-o-o-thing, j-j-ust le-l-leave m-me t-t-to c-cry." he sobbed.

"I'm not leaving you, dragon" I said firmly and he slowly emerged from under the bed and dived towards me, enveloping me in a deep embrace. He was shaking like a leaf but gradually his sobs slowed until after a while the stopped completely.

"Its the thunder and lightning. I'm afraid of them. It reminds me of the childhood I never want to visit again." he told me in an ashamed voice once he had calmed down.

"There's nothing to be ashamed of, I'm frightened of many things, take insects for an example." I reassured him.

"I don't want to be scared of it, but I don't know how to get over my fear." he said.

"I know, how about later about 5, we go and sit outside in the storm. We will be completely safe and I will help you understand and get over the fear." I suggested and he brightened up.

"Really you would do that for me?" he asked.

"Of course. I love you"

"Thank you so much, just please don't tell anyone about this, no one else knows about my fear." he said sheepishly and to prove I wouldn't tell, I twisted my fingers into his hair and kissed his lips softly.

"I love you Zabini," he called as I stepped out of the room, giving him chance to freshen himself up for lunch. Seeing as we had both missed breakfast.

"Morning sleepyhead!" my brother called.

"Don't judge me! I don't look this perfect on only a few hours of sleep you know! Anyway what time did YOU wake up?" I teased.

"12:30" he replied sheepishly.

"Aha! So who is also a sleepyhead?" I laughed.

"Your both nearly adults. What are you going to do when you have to go back to school, or even when you get a job?" Mum rolled her eyes.

"It will be fiiiinnnneee" I huffed, plonking myself down on the kitchen stool.

"Anyway, what's for lunch? I'm starving!" my tummy grumbled in agreement.

"Well seeing as you, Blaise and Draco missed breakfast, I thought I would use a muggle cooking course I took, and make you all a 'fry-up" Dad piped up; his head poking out of the pantry.

"Yassss! My muggle parents used to make these when they were hung-over, it is one of the best foods ever invented." I explained,

"Did you and Mum take different cooking classes?" I asked, intrigued where they had learnt their skills.