Chapter 15

Nino’s P.O.V

She stayed in the bathroom the whole night and I was sitting just in front of the bathroom door, waiting for her to come out. Gradually I fell asleep.

*****

When I woke up, the bathroom door was open and I didn’t see Chihiro anywhere. I was worried.

“Chi? Chihiro?” I called but she didn’t answer. I checked the whole house and found that she wasn’t at home. I ran out into the streets. It was still daybreak so there weren’t many people out in the streets. I went everywhere that I thought she would be. And then I remembered! How silly could I be?

I ran to a big Sakura tree. I saw that the flowers bloomed and they were flying everywhere. It was beautiful. This tree was a symbol of our friendship. Chi, Tomo and me. I walked underneath the big tree and looked up and sure enough, there she was, hair in a messy bun, sitting on a big branch listening to music and reading a book. That’s the way we all loved it.

I climbed up. Thankfully Chihiro didn’t see me or else she might’ve kicked me off. When I got to her branch, I sat next to her.

“Kireee~” I said to her, staring at the sakura.

She looked up from her book. “Watashi?” she said innocently.

“Uh-iiya—sakura desu...” I said shocked that she was talking to me.

“So I’m not pretty?” She said pouting.

“Ehh?? iiya! I mean… that the sakura’s pretty but you are beautiful!” I said smiling.

“Usotsuki.” She whispered under her breath as she looked back to her book.

“Hontou desu!” I said as I touched her on the arm. She felt it and shot me a glare. I immediately moved my hand.

We sat there for a while until she spoke up.

“Why are you here?”

“Huh? Oh, I came to find you.” I said as I smiled.

“Okay so you found me, now go back.” she said coldly.

“I can come here too.”

“Fine. Then go and sit on some other branch where I can’t see you.”

“I want to sit here.”

“Go away!” she said as she pushed me.

“No. I want to be here with you.”

“Go away! Go and look after Yuriko!” She pushed me harder.

“No. I want to be with you.” I said stubbornly.

“No!” She pushed me with both hands and I pushed back. I felt her grab my jumper lightly before she fell down onto the grass.

“Chihiro!” I shouted as I climbed down the tree.

 “itai.” I heard her say softly.

“Gomen, Gomen, Gomen, Gomen…” I said as held her head in my arms, hugging her to my chest, tears dripping down my face onto her. “Daijoubu? Oh what am I saying? Of course you’re not!”

“I’m going to take you to the hospital okay?” I said getting up and pulling her up too. I felt her grab my jumper. She looked up at me looking like she was in no pain, but I knew she is hurt. I stared at her questioningly.

“Don’t worry. I’m fine. It was only a short distance…” She whispered blinking back her tears.

“No you’re not. The distance you fell is like 3 and a half metres! I’m going to take you to the hospital and that is that.” I said as I piggy-backed her walking to the hospital.

“Arigatou Kazu…” Chi said softly.

“It’s all my fault. If only I wasn’t that stubborn. If only I---“

“It isn’t your fault. To be honest, I wanted you to stay; I just wanted to see if you would even if I told you to leave.”

“You did?”

“Hai, I did.”