It was night by the time Drea was released to her room with Jackie and Karen in tow. Drea contacted Danny and told him he could come back if he wanted. He said he’d come right over.

During that time, Drea began to explain everything to Jackie and Karen about her powers and what had happened. She started with her mind powers then went into what happened in school, the Lori, her training with Danny, her kidnapping, her time in Koracan and Skynea, and her fight with Alka. They only stared at her with mouths open wide.  

“You want me to show you?” Drea said as she stood from her bed. She kind of had a feeling they didn’t really believe her.

They didn’t answer, so Drea just made her scythe and spiked glove appear. The fire licked around her hands, warming her from the inside out. It comforted her to feel Zen’s presence coursing through her again and she smiled. In an instant, they were formed. The chain from the scythe clattered a little, but Drea made sure she kept it quiet. She didn’t want her parents to freak out more than they already were.

Karen got up and looked at her weapons, walking around Drea. “Wow Drea, I really didn’t think you had the fight in you, but here you are with weapons. Jeez…” She was smiling in disbelief as she said it. Drea knew it amazed her.

Jackie had a similar reaction, staring up at the huge weapons in Drea’s hands. She made them disappear, watching their surprised faces as they disintegrated into her hands again. And if you think that’s cool, you’ve seen nothing, she spoke in their minds.

They both looked at her with wide eye as she laughed. “Ok, you have to teach me how to do that,” said Jackie.

“Yeah really!” echoed Karen.

Drea stopped laughing suddenly as she felt something behind her. She turned around to see Zen sitting in his human form in the window. It became quiet as Jackie and Karen looked at him too. They seemed slightly fearful, but they waited to see what Drea would do.

She turned and said, “Zen, I was beginning to think you’d never show.” She was smiling now, speaking playfully as she introduced Jackie and Karen to Zen.

Zen came forward. “Hello.”

“So who exactly are you?” asked Karen, eyeing him suspiciously.

Zen contemplated it for a moment before responding. “I’m the Guardian of Fire. I bond with the Weaponsmasters, so now I am bonded with Andrea. Since I can control fire, Andrea can too now.”

Jackie raised her eyebrows and her mouth fell open in an “O” shape. Drea held her hand out and lit it on fire. She watched the flames dance in her hand, shifting and blending in infinite colors. She extinguished it then and looked at Jackie, who still looked so surprised, she couldn’t even speak. 

Drea looked at her little sister, finally feeling as though they were as close as they were before any of this happened. As she looked though, she realized there was something she hadn’t told her. “Zen,” she spoke softly. He understood and turned to ashes, dissolving in her within seconds. Drea became serious and took a breath before she knelt next to Jackie and looked her in the eyes.  

She took a minute to explain what had really happened to Kevin, reliving her pain with every word. “I can show you, if you ever want to really see it, but I don’t think you ever will.”

Jackie looked at Drea with sadness. She nodded and averted her eyes. Drea sighed. She had wanted to tell Jackie ever since she found out, but she hated to be the harbinger of bad news. She owed it to Jackie though, and she didn’t regret it.  

Drea felt Toni, John, and Shena enter the room quietly while Danny took his spot on the windowsill. They remained quiet as Drea waited to see how Jackie would respond. She’d almost given up when Jackie leapt forward and hugged her.

It was so unexpected that she remained stiff as Jackie said, “Now I know why you feel so guilty all the time; you always thought it was your fault he died.” She pulled away and stared into Drea’s eyes. “It was never your fault Drea. You were just a little kid. You couldn’t have done anything. I’m just glad you were saved in time, otherwise I would’ve lost you both.”

Drea loosened up and hugged her back. She finally allowed someone to share the burden she carried, but she knew that despite what everyone said, she would never be entirely free of her guilt. She was still saddened by Kevin’s death, but now she saw that people didn’t love her any less because of what happened. 

She pulled apart from Jackie and went back to her bed. Danny came out of the window and sat next to her. She leaned up against him and he put his hand in hers.

Karen looked at them and shook her head. “I’m never going to get used to this.”

They all laughed as they talked for a while. Toni and Karen got along great, and Jackie was really warming up to Danny. Karen suggested Toni go out with John, which made both of them blush, while Shena warmed up slowly to everyone.

One time when Drea noticed Shena looking up into the stars, she spoke into her mind so Shena could here, I’m sorry you lost your sister, but know that we’ll be here whenever you’re lonely.

Shena looked back at her and smiled. He eyes were sad, but purposeful. She nodded and looked back out before returning her attention to the room.

As Drea sat there on her bed with Danny, she felt truly happy. All her friends were around her, laughing and smiling. She had finally come home to her family and now her sister and best friend knew the one secret Drea had kept under wraps. It relieved her to know that they didn’t see her as a freak. It felt good to have all her secrets, or most of them anyway, out in the open after such a long time of trying to keep them secret.

It’s nice to see you happy, Danny said.

Drea turned and looked into his eyes, snuggling up to him as she positioned herself on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her. I am, but only because you’re here with me. She looked down for a moment in uncertainty. I don’t want you to go…

You still have the communication device?

Drea immediately reached up to her ear to feel it there. She had forgotten all about it just like she thought she would.

Whenever you want to talk, he said, pointing to the one he had in his ear, I’ll be there to listen.

She smiled and moved in close. They kissed for a moment, feeling each other’s lips and the warmth they radiated. When they pulled away, Drea couldn’t help but to smile as their noses touched.

I wish I could freeze this moment in time, but I don’t have that power, she spoke innocently.

Then I suppose we’ll just have to make many more moments like these, he said with a smile as his green eyes pierced her heart.

Drea remembered falling asleep in his arms like that, feeling at peace for the first time in a long time. For once in her life, she wasn’t feeling guilty or sad or worried. She was happy.