Chapter 46

Drea’s dreams felt like a void as the darkness consumed her. She couldn’t tell where she was or even if she was alive anymore. After an eternity of shadows, Drea found herself standing in the forest that she had trained at in her dreams. It was empty except for her, the leaves shining in the sun, the sunlight twinkling and whispering in the wind.

For the first time in a long time, Drea smiled in happiness. She stepped through the forest, laughing and smiling under the warm sun, feeling wonderful. She found a river after a little while and sat down on the bay in the grass. Her eyes became lost in the motion of the water ebbing and flowing continuously.

She lay on the shore and looked up at the serene sky, wondering why it couldn’t always be like this. “Isn’t it beautiful?” said a voice she recognized.

Drea turned to see Kevin lying next to her, staring up at the sky. She sat up and looked at him, missing him once again. “It is,” she said quietly.

He sat up as well and looked her straight in the eyes. “You’ve made all Kaienshi proud Drea. You’re a hero.”

She looked down at her lap and said, “I’m not quite sure I’m a hero. I couldn’t even kill Alka like I was supposed to.”

“Always modest, aren’t you?” His smiled. “You were able to seal Alka. You. A fifteen year old girl who’s been training for a few months.” His smile was infectious, making Drea smile slowly.

He lifted her chin and said, “Remember what Luke said Drea. Don’t feel guilty; use this chance at life to change the future.” He looked at her solemnly. “You’ve found something great Drea. Keep him close.”

Drea’s heart almost stopped as she began to understand the meaning of his words and blushed. She remembered Danny telling her that he would keep her alive as he put his cool hands over her. She wanted to be with him now more than anything.

She was almost afraid to ask, but as she thought about it, she had to, “Am I… am I… dead?”

She felt genuinely scared before he answered, “No. They were able to heal your wounds and keep you alive. You’re in the hospital now; you’ve been resting for ten days now.”

“Ten days?!” she yelled, her mouth hanging wide open.

Kevin smiled at her like he had when she was little and she complained of something. “You really are just like what I remember Drea, but you’ve grown into a beautiful young woman. Keep your strength. You’ll be the one to change things.”

He rose and started to walk off into the river. “Wait!” yelled Drea as she rose. “Will I ever see you again?”

Kevin turned and smiled at her. “Even if you don’t see me, I’ll always be with you.” He disappeared then, leaving Drea alone.

She stood on the river banks, feeling sad at first. Finally she felt the corners of her mouth lift. She had survived and made everyone proud. Now it was time to go back to them; it was time to wake up.

                        *          *          *          *          *

Drea felt her eyes open slowly. She stared at the ceiling for a moment before all the pain rushed back into her body. She felt weary and numb. She could feel her leg, her chest and stomach and back throb, her muscles crying out when she tried to move.

She sat up slowly and painfully and leaned up against the bed frame. She was in one of the hospital rooms again, resting. Drea looked out the window at the village. People were outside with smiles on their faces, skipping and laughing. She wondered if it was because of her. Her heart swelled with pride and disbelief.