“Come In!” she said excitedly, practically pushing her mother out of the way. She didn’t look nearly as broken up as her mother had. Danny and Drea exchanged glances before the two of them entered cautiously. 

            They stood in the foyer, not daring to move any further. The mother looked determined not to say anything, but the little girl seemed kind and open. She smiled, “My name’s Jen. Who are the two of you?”

            Danny smiled sweetly and said, “I’m Daniel, and this is my friend Andrea.”

            Suddenly Jen’s eyes widened. She stepped up to Drea and looked up with sparkling eyes. “Andrea? Isn’t that the name of the new Weaponsmaster?”

            Drea blushed, feeling a little embarrassed that even little kids knew her name. “Um yeah, that’s me.”

            Jen smiled as the mom looked at Drea in embarrassment. “Wow, I never thought I’d meet you…”She looked so incredibly excited, it was unreal. Drea’s heart just couldn’t take it. She kneeled down to be at eye level with Jen.

            “Um, Jen? I came here to talk with you about your dad. I hope that’s ok.” Immediately Jen’s eyes dropped. Drea wondered whether this was how she’d looked all those years after Kevin’s death.

            Jen sighed sadly and put on one of those fake smiles. “Sure, of course it’s ok. What do you need to say?”

            Drea could tell that Jen was broken inside, but she was very good at hiding it. Jen reminded her so much of herself when she was that age. Drea glanced up at the mom and stood up. “Corey was a brave man. He jumped right in front of me when the Lori was about to kill me.”

            The mother only looked down and away. Drea could feel her pain in her aura before she continued: “I was about to die when he saved me. When he fell,” she paused, getting a little choked up, “a-all I could do was rush down to him and try to save his life. I tried to stop the bleeding, but I couldn’t.”

            Now both of them were looking at her, and she couldn’t stop the tears from flowing again. They were silent and few, though they came just as strong. She caught her breath and continued once again, “He said to tell the both of you that he was at peace; that he was alright.”

            It was silent then. The mother stared at her, eyes wide as she cried. Drea wiped her tears and looked down at Jen, who looked like she’d already sealed herself off. Drea’s heart went out to her; Jen was just like she was when she was a little girl.

            Then she felt a warm, reassuring hand on her shoulder. She looked to see Danny standing there, his eyes sad, but his face level. He sent his aura to her to show his sympathy; he knew how much pain she was in.

            Drea took a deep breath and said to the mother, “Do you mind if I speak with Jen for a little while?”

            Her mother paused for a second then seemed to catch her composure. “S-sure. It should be ok.”

            Danny stepped up to her. “Why don’t we sit? I know this is a lot to absorb.”

            The mother nodded as Drea turned looked Jen in the eyes. “Will you take me up to your room?”

            Jen only turned around and led her up the stairs to the left. Drea narrowed her eyes and followed, cautiously stepping up behind Jen.  

            Jen stopped at a plain white door. She opened the door to reveal a nice room: orange walls, a small pink and orange bed with tons of pillows, one window in the front and one to the side, a little desk and chair and a fluffy yellow rug. She definitely had an outgoing personality. 

            Jen sat on her bed, still keeping her fake smile plastered on her face. “What’d you want to talk about?”

            Drea sighed nervously and sat in the desk chair. She’d been good with kids, but now she felt uneasy. She wasn’t Jen’s mom. “I know what you’re going through. I lost my brother when I was nine years old, just a year younger than you.”

            Jen’s smile disappeared and she looked at Drea with her big eyes, tears finally on the verge of falling. She spoke quietly, “You lost your brother?”

            Drea lowered her eyes. It was painful to talk about what happened, but if she could help someone else, it just might be worth it. She explained what happened that night so many years ago, and how she’d been unable to do anything. The pain in her heart was like a twisting knife, but she continued on, willing herself to finish. 

            When she grew quiet, Jen was staring up at her. She was crying now, but for herself or Drea she didn’t know. When she spoke, she spoke as though she was someplace far away. “I-I didn’t know you felt this too. This pain…” she put a hand over her heart, “it’s unbearable, but I can’t show it. I need to be strong for my mom.”

            Drea sighed. Jen was just like her. “To cry is not weakness, it’s strength. You’ll only be weak when you try to keep it all locked up.” She paused. “Knowing you’re alright will make your mom happy, and the only way you can be happy is to let it all out.”

            Jen remained quiet, but stared at Drea sadly. “I was just like you,” she said. “If you ever need to talk about this, I’ll be around, ok?”

            Jen nodded and smiled a little, sniffling. She seemed to understand. Jen reached up and hugged her, causing Drea to stiffen in surprise. Jen was still crying, but had calmed considerably.

            They pulled away and Drea said, “I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I’m sorry I couldn’t save your father.”

            Jen lowered her eyes. Drea could tell she understood.

            “Find me if you need me. I promise I’ll be around.” Drea got up and waited for Jen at the door. The two of them went back downstairs to find Jen’s mother and Danny sitting on the couch, talking. When the mother saw them, she rose and went over to the two of them, followed by Danny.

            “I-I’m sorry I was so disrespectful to you, I-”

            “Don’t say any more,” interrupted Drea. “You shouldn’t be apologizing to me just because of my title.”

            The woman smiled and held out her hand. “My name is Cara. It’s nice to meet you Andrea.”

            Drea shook it and responded, “And you too.”

            Then she and Danny turned to head out the door, waving goodbye. Drea felt good about what she had done, but a little part of what Cara had said was right and it hurt to admit it: she did come to clear some of her guilt. It pained her, but it was more than true.  

            She looked back to see the monotonous row of houses in the warm afternoon. Only then did Drea begin to feel fatigued again. Danny must’ve realized it since he grabbed her arm to hold her up. “Are you alright?”

            She knew he wasn’t just referring to her weariness, but her emotions as well. “Yeah…” she answered slowly. “I think maybe I helped them.”

            He smiled warmly. “You did help. Don’t doubt what you’re capable of.”

            His words made her heart beat faster. He was so kind to her, and maybe, just maybe, he was right.

She wondered about Danny as they walked. She didn’t exactly know what she was feeling, but she knew that all she wanted was to keep changing lives, if only to make Danny smile.