How exactly is there lava?

"So, the house you've been in all this time is the Big House" he pointed up the hill from where I had come, "then there're the cabins, one for each god. Some are just honorary because they don't have children, like Artemis she's an eternal maiden so she doesn't have children. And then The Big Three made a promise a while back that they wouldn't have any more mortal children. There is of course still a few that exist." He rambled on about the children of The Big Three. How they're all amazing, the best demi-gods in centuries, blah, blah, blah. To me they sounded like the perfect popular kids, but again, first impressions are usually wrong.

We walked for a while, he showed me the arena, the camp fire pit, the climbing wall and a lot of other stuff. I insisted to stop at the climbing wall to watch several campers scale it. I was very interested in one boy, he made it look easy, jumping from ledge to ledge like it was nothing. Then lava came at him. How is that possible? And why would someone climb a freaking lava wall? I wanted to stay figure it all out but eventually Alex pulled me away.

It took all morning to finish the tour but I didn't mind, I liked Alex. Not like, liked him but he was cool. We were rounding the lake when he suddenly stopped. I had been staring out at the water, wishing I could be out there. Swimming, kayaking, anything. Turning to me he opened him mouth as if to say something but stopped, his eyes brows furrowed as he looked at me,

"Your eyes,"

I quickly moved my eyes to the ground, embarrassed. Everyone noticed eventually. I was trying to hide behind me bangs when he continued,

"They were grey at the climbing wall but now they're very green. Like sea green. How's that possible?" he expected an answer, I couldn't give him one.

"I don't know, they've been like this for my whole life, either grey or blue, they aren't green very often. I honestly don't know why they change. It's probably just the light I'm in." I say hopefully, maybe he'll just drop it, but they always wanted to know more. It's kind of hard to actually talk to people when they're trying to see if my eyes change colour ever five seconds. Staring at them with such intensity it's honestly scary.

"That's weird 'cause, Athens children normally have grey eyes but not many demi-gods have green one like yours." I sighed, I thought he might be different, he seemed really cool. But whatever, I can lone it like I always do. Just like everywhere else.

He grabbed my hand, "Follow me I have an idea." He dragged me into the weird shape of cabins. We were headed in the direction of one with owls painted along the sides. Olive trees were growing everywhere and teenagers were sitting in chairs in the porch, their noses in books or having intense conversations with each other. Athena. Goddess of wisdom and knowledge. Creator of the olive tree and daughter of Zeus. But she was an eternal maiden like Artemis and Hestia. How does she have children?

"Annabeth?" Alex called through the door. All the teens out front looked at us with extremely annoyed expressions and placed a finger to their lips. Every last one of them had unnerving grey eyes. They were calculating, analysing. Eventually a girl with long curly blond hair appeared in the door way with a very large book open in her hands. It was something on architecture.

"Yeah." she said it but didn't look up from her reading.

"I have someone you might want to meet." Alex pulled me over to the door and pushed me towards the girl. She looked up and her stormy grey eyes looked into mine, like they were seeing me as a diagram she needed to understand.

Recognition spread through her face, "You look a lot better, does it still hurt?" her eyes held sympathy but they were just as curious.

"A little, do you know why Alex brought me here?" I whispered the last part so the son of Apollo wouldn't hear.

She looked at me and smiled, then turned to Alex "Thanks, I got it from here." Without another word she led me into her cabin and sat me down on one of the bunks. She cleared space on the one opposite and sat down.

"So, Thea right," I nodded "You haven't been claimed yet witch is unusual, but I'm sure you will be soon." She looked down at my fingers and knees, I hadn't noticed they had begun to tapping and bounce. I stopped, blushing. "You have ADHD don't you." She didn't ask she simply stated.

"Yeah, sorry." I looked around, trying to find something to change the subject. My jaw dropped as I took in the cabin. It could have been a library, books were everywhere, on tables, selves, and there were even some stacked on the floor. Even if I can't read most of them, I still appreciate the worlds they depict and the information they spread. Maps were covering the walls and several mechanisms were in corners or on tables. Then there was art everywhere. They looked like blankets to me but they were so beautiful I couldn't call them that. At least a hundred were in piles around the room. I didn't get how you could just toss something like that on the floor but there were so many you couldn't hang them all up.

"Well, let's see if we can get an idea of your missing parent. Do you live with your dad or mom?"

"Both, and I have an older brother." I answered, still looking around the room.

"That's uncommon. But it's happened before. What do you do for fun?" she asked, completely oblivious that the questions made me uncomfortable. I don't like telling people about myself. Whether it's just something like my favorite colour or what I had for lunch. I thinks it's weird. And the moment they start to get personal, I shut down. I couldn't tell you why I answered her question or was about to answer her second one, because I have no idea. It just felt alright.

"Um well, I like music and stuff. Sometimes I go swimming with my friends. I camp almost every weekend. Then there's Netflix." I looked at her, she had an expression that showed deep thought as if what I said confused her. We sat there for a minute, her staring at me, while I was unbelievably uncomfortable.

"What grades do you get?"

"I do well, my best is math and science but I'm good in all of my classes." I didn't know where this was going. Maybe the god or goddesses hands down some of their skills to their, that would explain this cabin.

She looked at me critically. After another uncomfortable two or so minutes she finally spoke "So, this might seem stupid but just do what I say." I didn't nod, if I did and she said something like run around naked I didn't want to have shown willingness. I'm not stupid all the time. "Close your eyes and think, think about math, science something interesting, strategies, crafting, smart stuff." I did as I was told even though I did think this was stupid. I was doing random equations in my head. Then planed a way to get one of the many books in here unnoticed.

"Now open." I opened my eyes and she looked into them for a second or two, "Ok, close them and this time think of swimming, the ocean, and the fish. The waves on the beach and all that."

I closed my eyes again and pictured my favorite scene, I remembered the breeze, the cool water lapping at my legs and the sand between my toes. Fish swimming around me as I just stood there, completely still.

"Now open them." I did and she looked a little surprised. I looked away, my eyes had probably changed colour. Her expression changed now interested.

"Now do it again and this time think of music, imagine singing along to your favorite songs. Writing a story or maybe doing first aid."

I was hesitant at first. I hadn't told her I like to write or am good at first aid. And this was getting just a little repetitive. But I complied. I thought of playing in my room, singing with my friends and dancing to music at school dances. I was humming one of my favorite songs inside my head and was beginning to completely jam out when Annabeth interrupted me,

"Open again." her voice pulled me away from my warm and fuzzy thoughts and I was a little disappointed. Her eyes examined mine but I held her gaze wondering what she was doing.

"Come with me." she, like Nico, didn't wait for an answer but just left expecting me to follow. I sighed and ran after her though the cabin door. Were all demigods like this?