Chapter 37 - The Message

Start from the beginning

Ignoring his own 'first things first' advice, Michael became more and more agitated as he unravelled the detail from the email. He deciphered the recipients of the message and they turned out to be some of the richest and most powerful people on the planet. Damn. If these guys were hunting Madrick and Tung, they needed to stay low or better still become invisible... again.

"Let's start by making you guys harder to identify," he said as he led Madrick out of the room.

The old man looked completely different after a haircut and beard shave. Modern clothes from Michael's wardrobe finished off the 'disguise'. Tung was given a similar make-over so at least now the television descriptions would be of little help to anyone trying to spot them in a crowd.

"You guys don't exist in this century, there are no records which could lead them to you so we only need to worry about what could link you to me."

"Our champagne party at the Ritz was pretty public," said Madrick.

"Yeah but I didn't book the lunch table, Faith and I just walked in on spec so they didn't get my name or hers. And you paid the bill so there's no credit card trail."

"Everyone saw us partying together," said Tung. "We weren't exactly quiet."

"I know but no one knows who I am, that's the point. Yes, they'll get a description and maybe even a picture of me but then what'll they do?"

He stopped talking because he knew exactly what they'd do. They'd use their massive resources to connect his image to his name. It would take time because this line of investigation would be one of tens of thousands. His image would be an information pin in a data-overloaded haystack but eventually they'd come knocking on his door. They needed to get away from there and leave no trail whatsoever.

"Just to be on the safe side," he said after a few more moments thought, "maybe we should move on."

"Oh come on," said Tung, "are we never going to be able to settle anywhere? I was just beginning to feel at home."

They gathered money, provisions, clothes and toiletries. Michael parcelled up everything which identified him - credit cards, driving licence, passport - he'd destroy it all later but he wanted anyone who searched the flat to find these things gone. They would think Michael Phillips had bolted. He smiled as he thought about how great his preparation had been. They'd be looking for Michael Phillips. They wouldn't be looking for Michael Baker, the false identity he'd created eighteen months ago when he started planning his heist at IIBE; the identity he was about to adopt.

Michael explained what he was going to do next.

"The Council are going to congregate tomorrow. There are forty-eight of them and they're gathering at special locations all across the globe so they'll have to 'meet' across the Internet. I'll be able to hack into their system which means we'll be able to watch them and listen in on their plans"

The blank looks on Madrick and Tung's faces showed they'd no idea what any of this meant but his enthusiasm was enough to elicit little supportive noises from the pair. If he was excited then so were they.

"While I set up the spy software, why don't you two create some spells and see if you can come up with anything useful? I don't think there's any urgency but we might as well use the time we have productively."

"Or to put it another way, there's no time to lose. That's the story of my life," said Tung as he prepared himself.

Michael went back to his computer and began to install the spy software. He knew exactly where to target his program. He'd seen the secure teleconferencing facility on the network when he'd been cataloguing the full system. Why hadn't he cyber-bugged it at the time? Anyway, it was no big deal, he'd be ready to spy in a few hours.

While Michael tackled the bugging, Tung was busy creating and dissipating spells.

"We've been at this for ages and we've nothing useful to show for our efforts. I'm knackered."

He stopped creating and surveyed the mess around him. The room was strewn with magically created debris including a chest full of horse leathers, a magnificent diamond engagement ring, five hundred candles, an oak table and two extremely ugly bronze statues of goats.

He'd also created a beautiful autumn-inspired aroma which wasn't much use to them right now. It would have been a lot more valuable back in his stinking century and, in particular, in the foul-smelling street where he used to live. Or in the fishy hotel room not far away. Or back in Mifal's cell after the great stallion had shown its fear.

The only spell which was potentially useful had given him the power to see in the dark; apparently it would last for a few days. It probably wasn't going to help them stay safe but Tung had a bit of fun finding long-forgotten biscuits and other forgotten delicacies which were hiding in the shadows under the settee.

"We need a rest and some pizza. I'm off to fire up the microwave."

Michael was finding the task of installing his spy-eye software considerably more complex than he'd expected. These guys had spent a lot of time building security around the facility. He'd just about cracked it though, after all it was impossible to protect yourself against trusted sources and he'd made himself a trusted source for every single system within IIBE.

"We're ready to rock," he shouted, throwing his arms in the air. "We're in."

"And the pizza's ready," shouted Tung, "so let's party."