14 | Ashley Asylum

Start from the beginning

She fell into a light, restless sleep until the sound of a door closing stirred her. She sat up half suspecting to see Elsie but the vague shape that moved away from the door was too big. Rolling over she flicked the bed side light on.

The warm light gave her little comfort. In his absence Ashley had forgotten just how vibrant and wild Sam was, and now he stood just a few feet away, sopping wet and about as surprised to see her as she was to see him. How did he get in? Did Elsie know he was here!

His expression alone told her if she so much as whimpered he'd pummel her into the mattress.
He'd seen better days. The bruising on one of his cheeks had fully blossomed and his upper lip looked sore as hell but somehow it only suited him more. A dangerous look for a dangerous man.

Ashley had given little thought to how Sam must be feeling about all this, she had been a little tied up with her own feelings on the matter but she was very concerned about Sam now he was here. Michael had kept this secret from him, and after everything they had probably been through now Ashley had been propelled between the two of them.

"Well look who it is. The psychologist, the hostage, the girl we were going to kill and now the long lost baby sister. What next, are you a police officer?" he jibed.

Ashley swallowed thickly. She spared a glance to the window, it was raining which explained why he was wet. The sight of him soaked sent prickles up her arms as she thought back to their struggle on the beach.

"I think Michael's out looking for you" she offered weakly.

He sniffed indignantly. "So what, to make sure he doesn't get caught because of me, yeah that sounds about right."

He grabbed a corner of the bed comforter and wiped at his face and hair. He staggered mid movement and then swayed back to Ashley's horror.

"You've been drinking" she whispered anxiously. Where had he even got alcohol from?

He looked up from the bed, and his dark eyes suddenly focused. "Why are you still here?" he hissed.

She didn't respond. She was a prisoner, where else would she be?

He took two fistfuls of the quilt and tugged it in his direction. Ashley's entire body jolted down the bed towards him. "Sam, no." she snapped immediately.

She scrambled back in retaliation as he continued to pull and pull until the quilt was entirely at his feet. All the while he was asking why she was still here, why, why, why!

He lunged across the mattress and hooked one hand in her t-shirt and then another in her hair. He dragged her back over to his side and released her hair only to knit his fingers into her t-shirt and push her forcefully into the bed. Her entire body jolted painfully.

"Stop!" She cried out.

"Why are you here!" he spat. "Why! After everything, after everything that has happened to me why should you be here! Why has it turned out like this!"

He grabbed her forearms and forcefully yanked her upright.

"Everyone I ever loved is dead! They're dead, they're gone and I will never see them again and it's all his fault!" His voice cracked in the middle.
His crushing hold on her arms shook and his breath smelt like pure spirit. All Ashley could do was look straight into his tortured eyes.

"When will it be Michael's turn to suffer?" His jaw began to tremble as his eyes wobbled with tears. "When do I get to see Michael cry?"

His expression was unbearable. He was so emotional he could hardly get his words out. Tears overflowed in his eyes as he moved one huge hand and wrapped it around her mouth. His fingers bit into her cheeks and squeezed.