Attempting Progress

Start from the beginning

Draco took a sip of his drink but didn't say anything.

We finished our butterbeers in silence. I wished there was something I could say to him, but I wasn't sure what could make him feel better. When I was done, I hopped off the stool and beckoned for Gregory and Vincent to follow me. I looked back at Draco one last time. "Are you coming?"

Draco shook his head. "Go. I don't need any of you." He looked away, not meeting my eyes.

I let out a heavy sigh. "Come on, guys. Let's go," I mumbled.

Vincent frowned. "What about Malfoy?"

"It doesn't look like he's coming," I said. "We can't force him to." I nodded at the Slytherin boys. They started for the door. I hesitated before walking back to Draco. There was something left I had to do. I placed my hand on his shoulder. He recoiled from my touch, but I didn't pull away. I cast him a sad glance. "I do care about you, Draco. I don't know what I can say to make you believe me."

Draco just turned away, refusing to look at me.

I sighed again. I had never felt such a strange mixture of pity, compassion, and desire. I supposed there was nothing I could do about it. I gave him one last long look before following my friends out the door.

*

That night, I attempted to study with Ginny in my room, but my kept drifting back to Draco. I lay on my bed staring up at the wall, my herbology textbook lying face-open on my stomach. My hands rested underneath my head. "I'm sorry, I can't focus," I said apologetically to my friend without moving my position.

"Does this have anything to do with the Sytherins?" Ginny asked calmly.

I frowned and sat up. "Why would you ask that?"

Ginny shrugged as she looked at me. "I saw you with Crabbe and Goyle at Hogsmeade. People are spreading rumors. "Some think you're crazy, others admire your boldness, but a few are calling you a traitor."

"Great," I groaned as I fell back on my bed and closed my eyes. "Is it wrong to want everyone to get along?"

"As long as you don't compromise your own values, I don't see a problem with it," Ginny said thoughtfully after a moment of silence. "Is that what's bothering you?"

I sat up again and shook my head. "It's Draco. He's resisting every attempt I make at befriending him. He doesn't seem to think I really care about him."

Ginny frowned. "He's a tough one. I don't think anyone has ever really tried to get to know him before, which is kind of sad, actually. You've got to earn his trust somehow. Show him that you care about his feelings – like you did when you defended him from Moody."

I thought this over. Perhaps there was something to what my friend was saying. I needed to show Draco empathy. I would have to look for an opportunity. "Ok. Thanks for the advice, Ginny." I gave her a small smile.

Ginny smiled back at me. "You're welcome. Are you ready to get back to studying?"

I smiled sheepishly. "Yes."

***

I had care of magical creatures with Sytherins on Monday before lunch. We were still caring for Blast-Ended Skrewts. They had grown grey, shiny armor over their pale bodies and had begun to look like a cross between giant scorpions and elongated crabs. The males held their stingers over their backs, and were highly dangerous and repulsive. No one enjoyed caring for them.

"This is ridiculous," I heard Draco mutter as I walked over to him at the end of class. "I don't see why we should care for these beasts."

"I'm not a fan either," I said.

Draco looked at me, seeming surprised to see me. His eyes narrowed. "I would have thought you would have enjoyed the experience."

I shrugged but did not respond. I watched as he picked up his bag and turned to leave. I followed him across the grass. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," Draco said shortly.

"You don't seem to be doing too well in defense against the dark arts."

Draco paused. "It's not my fault the professor is bloody mad and insists on holding a grudge against me," he muttered.

"I didn't say it was," I said. "I think he's wrong too. I don't agree with his methods. He should treat his students better and be an example for them."

Draco frowned. "Right."

"Your feelings are as valid as anyone else's," I said. "I'm sorry if no one else has ever thought that."

Draco stopped walking. He turned and looked me over, seeming somewhat suspicious. "What are you playing at?"

"This isn't some game," I said seriously. "I like you. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here. I won't judge you."

Draco stared at me for a long time, as if he was unsure whether he should believe me or not. Finally, he turned away and mumbled, "We'll see."

***

Tuesday was the first task of the Triwizard tournament. Everyone was shuffled into bleachers to watch the event. I nervously stood between George and Ginny. Each champion had to get past a dragon to retrieve a golden egg. I was worried for them, especially Harry.

"I do hope he'll be alright," Ginny said with a frown.

I nodded. "Me too."

Cedric, Fleur, and Krum accomplished the task successfully. And then it was Harry's turn. I held my breath as he stepped out. He had the fiercest dragon of them all – the Hungarian Horntail.

I watched as Harry called his boom with a spell. That was impressive. He then used diversionary tactics to get around the dragon. Several times I clung onto George's arm as the Horntail got close to Harry. George finally took my hand and squeezed it to comfort me. I smiled at him gratefully.

Sooner than I expected, Harry swooped down and retrieved the golden egg. I cheered along with everyone else. I grinned at Ginny. "Yes! He did it!" I turned to George and hugged him.

George laughed. "I knew he could do it," he said as he returned my hug.

I saw Fred over George's shoulder, smirking at me. I stuck my tongue out at him. Who cared what he thought