She nestled into his shoulder, still crying, and he sighed. "Let it out. It's okay."

"I love you..."

"I know. I love you, too. More than anything."

Eventually, she calmed down enough for Hunter to kiss the top of her head. "There," he said gently. "Would you like me to make some pancakes for all of us?"

"N-No, I'll do it-"

"You need to relax," he said gently. "You're wrung out."

"Yeah. I guess you're right."

"If you want, you can help me make a berry sauce for them. Elle doesn't like chocolate."

"I know." She smiled slightly. "Neither does Spence, actually. He likes anything citrus, but not chocolate. He hates jaffa cakes."

"What's a jaffa cake?"

"It's like... chocolate and orange. I don't like it much, tastes a bit odd."

"Maybe he gets that from you."

She chuckled slightly. "It's so strange to think that we have children together. You, of all people. I'm still starstruck by you sometimes."

"I can't believe it, either. I have you. Of all the beautiful women in the world, I was lucky enough to get you."

Ryan smiled, but it faded, as she remembered that Hunter wouldn't be with her that night. "Come on," he said quietly. "Let's make breakfast."

"Alright."

<><><><><><><><>

Phoenix noticed how Elle seemed especially upset. She was with Ryan for most, if not all of the day. Robin, too, was subdued, and she was sitting on the floor, still playing with her bead set.

"You know, you should really start packing up," he said to her eventually. "We need to go soon."

"I'm busy."

"Doing what?"

"None of your beeswax."

Phoenix shrugged, and went back to packing. "Nick?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you know Mama's favourite colour is blue?"

"Yeah."

"Oh."

They were quiet for a while longer. "Why's Mama sad today?"

"Because we're leaving."

"Why do we have to leave?"

"Elle has exams, and Papa has stuff to plan."

"What's your favourite colour, Nick?"

"I like red."

"Oh. I like red, too. That's my second favourite."

"Okay. Thanks for telling me."

"That's okay!" She went back to making her bracelets.

"Who are you making those for?"

"No one."

"Liar, liar, pants on fire."

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Would you two quit it for like, I dunno, five seconds?" muttered Elle. "Who cares who she's making the damn bracelets for?"

"Don't curse, Ellie!"