Chapter 47: Christmas

Start from the beginning

"This one is from Lance." she announced. After taking off the wrapping paper, she looked at the gift Lance had given her. It was also a picture frame, but it was a family picture. She hugged her son. "Thanks, Lance. I absolutely adore it." 

There was one more box under the tree with Laura's name on it. She grabbed it and inspected it. It had come from Lauren. By the huge size of the gift, Laura guessed that it was a painting. After gently removing the wrapping paper, Laura stood the canvas up and looked at it. It was amazing. It had a forest and a cabin in the middle of the forest. In the window of the cabin, there was a shadow of two people. There was no doubt that they were a couple. On the bottom right corner, Lauren signed her name and wrote a "Thank you for everything, Laura." 

Laura reached to hug her. "Thanks, darling. It is the best painting I have ever seen. It's an amazing painting and you have great talent." 

Lauren looked at her and said, "It's one of my older paintings, and I didn't know how else to thank you for everything you have done for me. I'll never ever forget what you've done for me." 

"Oh, sweetie. I do it with great love, because you're like an addition to our family. And you're the only friend Landon has, because you've been so nice to all of us and I appreciate everything you have done for my son." 

Lauren smiled. Then it was Lance's turn to open his gifts. 

He grabbed the first box that was under the tree addressed for him. He was a bit disappointed, though, because it looked like two tubes of wrapping paper wrapped together. He honestly didn't know what to think of it. There was no way that this was going to be something he liked. When he looked at the label, he saw it was from Landon. He was so screwed. Landon was never good at picking presents for people and he knew this very well.

One time, during Christmas his dad decided to do a Secret Santa among the family. He remembered it was the last Christmas that Liam had passed with them. It had been great. The only person who hadn't gotten a gift had been Liam, and everyone had given a gift except for Landon. When Liam opened his box, there was literally a piece of chicken waiting for him.

Lance had laughed so hard, but Liam, he had grabbed the piece of chicken like it was something he had wanted since he was a little child and had never gotten it until thirty years later. He definitely loved Landon, and besides it wasn't the gift that counted, it was the thought that counted.

 Lance used caution when it came to the gift in his hands. There was no doubt in his mind that it was just wrapping paper wrapped with wrapping paper. He opened it carefully and his heart almost stopped when he saw that they were posters. And his eyes grew huge when he saw that they were posters of Tom Brady and the New England Patriots football team. He was so surprised. He hugged his brother and thanked him like a million times. He had always had trouble looking for a poster. It was amazing.

His next present was from his mom. He didn't really need his mother to buy him anything. All his Christmas days were filled with great joy as long as she was there and his brother was there, too. When he opened the package he found a jersey that read Brady on the back. He was literally going to hug someone to death. They were making him love them more than he thought was possible.

Lauren's gift was the last one and he didn't know what it was. As she saw that hers was the last one, she spoke up. "I'm sorry if you don't like it. I didn't know what else to choose from."

Lance looked at her and said, "Don't worry about it. I'm sure that I'll need whatever is in here."

The wrapping paper came off and he saw that it was cologne. He was definitely right about needing it. He was running out of cologne and he realized that Lauren had good taste in fragrances. This cologne was the same that he had used, it was the same one that was about to finish up.