Chapter 29

I have to face the truth. I have to look up and face it. Open your eyes. Just do it and get over this horrible tragedy. This might ruin your life, but maybe not for long. 

I looked up. Gus. Was alive?! How? What? He looked shocked. He was staring at Victor's dead body.

"I always hated him." I looked in front of Gus, in the direction of the voice. My dad? He was holding the gun in his hand. "Glad he's gone."

He put the gun to his side. A weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"Thank you so much sir." Gus said. "He was going to kill me."

"I know. That's why I killed him. You're the best for my daughter so I want you alive." They laughed. I was still on the ground. My vision started to darken. Am I bleeding out?

"Annabel, don't die on me." Gus walked over to me and kneeled next to me.

"I... won't" I was starting to get tired.

"Don't sleep." Gus said.

"I... won't" Gus picked me up. I screamed in pain. Any bit of movement hurt.

"I'm sorry." Gus said. "Is the nurse still alive?" Gus asked my dad.

"Yes. The whole time you guys were getting tied up and breaking out, I was protecting her because I know we will need her." Gus nodded

"Where... was... I... it?" I asked. Pain was killing my energy. Talking was hard.

"There is a secret hatch. I will show you one day when I pass this place down to you." My dad said. "Let's get you to the nurse."

Gus ran me down the stairs and to the nurse. The windows of the nurses were broken, but I saw the nurse. She was alive an looking a bit shaken up.

"Glad to see everyone's okay." She said.

"Mary, we have a hurt one. She's my daughter. Can you help her?" My dad asked.

"Yes. Of course. I'm glad we took all the supplies with us. They are in the room on the left. It's the only room that is in best shape." The nurse said. Gus walked me to the room the nurse told us to go in. He sat me on the bed in there. The nurse walked in seconds later.

"We should put her to sleep so I can work on getting the bullet out of her leg." The nurse said. Gus nodded. "Please leave. I will tell you when it's over."

Gus walked into the other room and the nurse hooked me up to the medicine that made me fall asleep.

"You can sleep now, Annabel." She said. I fell asleep in seconds. It felt nice to let the dark consume me.

It seemed only seconds when I woke up. I slowly opened my eyes, my eyelids being incredibly heavy. I looked around. The nurse was looking over me.

"I see your awake." The nurse said.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"They are currently working with  some construction workers to fix this place up. You just stay here and stay awake. I'll bring you some food. It is almost lunch." The nurse walked toward the door. "I'll be back in thirty minutes. I have to find a working microwave."

The nurse shut the door. The room looked different. Did they fix part of it already? They must have. I could hear drills and hammers beyond the door. How long was I asleep? It couldn't have been that long. Did they work around the nurse when they fixed this room? I'll have to ask the nurse.

My leg felt much better. I put my hands behind me to sit up. I pushed and sat up. I'm strong enough now. What could I do in thirty minutes? I was already feeling quite bored. Just then the door opened. The nurse walked in.