Chapter 24

Gus was in the room, the nurse looking at his wounds and patching them up. Alexis and I where waiting in the room. I wanted to be there for Gus. I just want to know if he's okay. The wait was agonizing.

Alexis could see the worry on my face. "He will be okay. It was just a petty little fight."

"I know. I just... how could this happen?"

"Jackson still loves you. He won't move on for a while." I nodded. She's probably right. We sat there for a little longer. The nurse came out. Alexis and I sat up straight.

"We are going to keep him here so we can make sure he's okay. He is healing just fine." Alexis and I nodded and walked out. It was just about time for bed.

"I'm going to head back to my room. I'm going to bed. It's been a long day." I told Alexis.

"Okay. Text me if you just need to talk to anyone." I nodded and headed to my room.

I walked into my door. I changed into some night clothes and sat on my bed. I checked my phone. One text message from Jackson.

I don't know what was going through my head when I did that. I'm sorry. Don't be mad at me. I at least want to be your friend. I read from Jackson.

You hurt Gus pretty badly. I don't know how I can forgive you. They are keeping him at the nurses over night. I texted back. I kept my phone in my hand and got into bed. My phone rang.

I know. I just freaked out. I'm so sorry. I understand if you never want to see me again. I regret it. I'm so sorry. I left it at that. I didn't feel like dealing with this and I was tired anyway. I closed my eyes and instantly fell asleep.

I was on the floor of the hallway. I was near my door, laying on the ground. I sat up. The lights were off except for one light at the main hallway. I got up from the ground and walked down the hallway towards the main hallway.

I walked to the nurses. The nurses was empty. The lights were off. I walked into the room Gus was in. I slowly opened the door. Gus was on the floor. He was laying on his side. A pool of blood surrounded his body. I ran over to him and kneeled down. I rolled him on his back. His throat was slit. The cut was deep and was bleeding everywhere. My hands became stained with blood. I raised my to cover my open mouth. Tears started streaming down my face.

A hand was placed on my shoulder. I screamed and turned around. It was Jackson. His shirt was covered in blood and he was holding a bloody knife in his hands. I blinked and I was in a different room. The room was small and all the walls and the floor were white. It reminded me of how things used to be. Jackson appeared on the other side of the room in front of me.

"You killed him." Tears started falling from my face.

"I did it for you. I did it for us." Jackson smiled.

"No. No Jackson... no." I said.   

"What do you mean? You can love me now. He is finally out of the way." Jackson said.

"Jackson, I don't love you that way anymore." I said.

"You can learn to love me the same way you did." I shook my head. A wall was right behind me. I slid down the wall and put my head in my hands. I could hear Jackson walk to my right and sit down next to me. He put his arm around me. I shoved it off.

"I did this for us!" He screamed. I looked up in shock my mouth hanging slightly open. "I want you to love me!"

He walked to a corner and sat down. His head in the corner. He started to cry. I walked over to him. I had to make him feel better. I sat down behind him.

"I'm sorry. I know you mean well and you want me to love you the same way you love me." Jackson turned around.

"I did. I thought you would love me if I got rid of him." I stared at him. He had no one else. I had to be at least his friend. I leaned in for a hug. Jackson thought different. He kissed me.

I woke up. I wasn't sweating but I had chills. I love Gus. Jackson took it another way. I'm just his friend. I looked at the clock. It was six.

I got into some clothes. I walked into the hallway and started walking toward the nurse. I opened the doors and went to the front desk.

"May I see Gus." I said. There were examining rooms to the left and stay in rooms on the right. The woman pointed to a door on the right. I walked over to it and knocked. I didn't hear anything and decided to walk in. I had to see him.

"Gus." I said. There was a bed close to the door. Gus was still asleep. I sat next to him I tried not to wake him up. "I had to see you."

His face was still cut up. Black eye, busted lip, cut cheek. It was all there.

"I wanted to say I love you and I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you aren't awake, but I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help. I'll be waiting for you when your better." I stared at him for a while then walked out. I walked into the main entrance, but someone else was there too.

Jackson had been waiting for me outside. "I had to talk to you."

"You watched me walk in there and you waited for me?" Jackson looked down at his feet.

"Yes. I knew you were going to visit Gus."

"Jackson you know I love Gus now. We can be friends but we aren't a thing." He slowly nodded.

"I know I just... I can't forget about you." I turned around and started walking toward my room. Jackson followed me. "We have to talk."

"I don't want to talk about us. We're nothing anymore."

"Yeah well what if something happens? What if Gus breaks your heart?" Jackson asked. I stopped and turned around, only two doors away from mine.

"Nothing will happen and you won't make anything happen." I said angrily. Jackson backed up some. I walked to my room, Jackson still following me. I walked into my room and tried to close the door but Jackson walked in. Maybe he just wanted to talk.

"I won't do anything. I promise. I'll even leave if you want me to. I will never talk to you again." Jackson sat on the couch. He put his head in his hands. I sat next to him. I looked at the part of his face I could see.

"I want to be friends. You protected me. I can't just leave you alone with no one." I said. He looked up. He looked into my eyes.

It happened too quick. He kissed me. I pushed him away quickly. He looked at me for a minute then turned away. I said nothing. I had nothing to say.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what that was. I'm so sorry." Jackson got up from the couch and walked out the door. I watched him leave. Stopping him will give him the wrong idea.

I looked into my hands and cried. I don't want to loose a friend. I may not love him but that doesn't mean we can't talk. I just have to let him realize that.