Chapter 22

I opened the door. Gus was still there. I didn't want to tell him. Why couldn't he have just left? Then maybe I would have more time to think. He was still sitting on the couch, TV off. I walked in and sat next to him. We sat in silence for a while.

"So was it easy?" Gus asked.

"Yeah." Do I have to tell him? Yes, I just need to get it out. "I have to tell you something."

"What is it you can tell me anything." Gus said. He put his hand on my knee.

"After you, Alexis, Katie, and Maddie left, a boy named Jackson offered to be my friend. It ended up to be more than that. We started dating and he protected me. Then one day, Ashley got me worked up and mad and I accidentally used my powers. Then, I came here."

"Okay so, why are you telling me this?" Gus asked.

"Jackson is here." Gus moved his hand off my knee and got up. He put his hands on his face and started pacing around the room.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought it wouldn't matter. I didn't know he had powers." He wasn't taking this as well as Jackson did.

"Do you love him?" Gus asked.

"I don't know." Gus didn't say anything else. He was standing a foot away from the couch. I was turned around so I could see him. He was standing there with his back facing me. His hands were still covering his face. He was crying. I could hear it. It broke my heart.

"What are you going to do now?" Gus said as he choked back a sob.

"I think I have to choose." Gus stopped crying. He walked back over to the couch and sat on my right.

"Annabel, I love you. I don't want to lose you." He looked into my eyes. His words were rushed and panicked. His eyes were puffy, tears were still running down his face. "I will support whoever you choose."

I knew he wasn't telling the truth. He will be heart broken if I don't choose him but, I don't know who I'm going to choose. I didn't say anything. Gus got up and walked out the door. I love Gus. I just don't know. I walked to my bed and laid down. Tears started running down my face. I don't know who I love more.

I started thinking about who cares more, whos been there for me, and how they treat my friends. Gus took care of me whenever I was sick. Jackson hasn't been around as long and he's only helped with the whole event with Ashley. Gus protected me from Evan. Jackson protected me from Ashley. Gus is friends with all my friends. Whenever Jackson was dating Ashley, he treated them just as poor as she did.

I knew who I was going to choose but, I couldn't tell them now. It was close to midnight. I decided to go to sleep.