Chapter 60

I decide to head right back to the cabin. I need time to think about all this. I know at the back of my mind that there's another reason I don't want to go back to the eating room. If Bellamy is the one who put the acidflower powder on my jacket, that means... I try not to even think of it, but I can't help myself. This morning, after we argued about him staying at Chloe's last night, we hugged. That gave him the opportunity to do it. The thought of it makes me want to throw up.

By the time I leave the tower, it's dark outside. The path to the cabins is illuminated by only moonlight. No one is around, I guess everyone's eating. Finding silence eery, I start to speed up.
What am I gonna do when Bellamy gets back? I need to think of a plan.
My thoughts are interrupted by the snapping of a twig behind me. What was that? I'm probably just being paranoid, but I turn around to make sure that no one's there. The last thing I see is a big grey rock colliding with my head.

***

I wake up with a pounding headache. I immediately bring my hand to my aching head, and when I draw it back, it's covered in blood.
Wherever I am, it's dark. I can barely see a thing, until my eyes adjust and I see the outline of a figure a few feet to my right. I think it's Murphy.
"Murphy, is that you?"
"Clarke?" he says, his voice shaking. "Where are we?"
"I don't know. It must be some kind of cave. How did you get hear?" As I speak, I try to stand up, but I can't. My ankles are bound.
"I was knocked out," he replies.
"Do you know who knocked you out?" I ask.
"Yeah..." He looks at me sympathetically.
"Who?" I ask, but I already know the answer.
"Bellamy."
Just hearing his name makes my stomach drop. I can't stop the tears from forming in my eyes.
"We have to get out of here," I say, trying my best to keep my voice from cracking. I search the ground with my hands, and pick up a small rock. The edge is sharp. I start using it to try to cut the rope around my ankles.
Murphy realizes what I'm doing, and he starts to do the same thing.
I finally cut through the rope. Quickly, I walk over to help Murphy with his, but he's already cut through it. "Now let's get out of here."
I nod silently and help him stand up. We start running towards the opening of the cave, where the dim moonlight is shining in.
Suddenly, Murphy stops.
"Clarke, you wait here. I'll go out and see if anyone's there. If the coast is clear, I'll come get you, okay?"
I hesitate before agreeing. If someone's waiting for us at the front of the cave, it's best we don't both go at the same time. If something goes wrong, I'll have the time to make some kind of escape plan.
Murphy heads forward as quietly as possible. He makes it to the mouth of the cave without any trouble. Just as he turns to tell me the coast is clear, a booming voice sounds throughout the cave and Murphy is seized by two arms.
"What are you doing here?" The voice is Bellamy's.
Murphy tries to squirm his way out of Bellamy's hold, but Bellamy's grip is too strong.
Terrified, I back up farther into the cave, right into a big rock. I hide behind it and peer over it. Bellamy is still holding onto Murphy.
"Where's Clarke?" He shouts.
"I don't know," Murphy replies. He doesn't even sound that scared. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. This morning, he wanted to kill himself.
"Murphy, I swear to God if you don't tell me, I'll kill you."
I bite down on my tongue as tears begin to run down my cheeks.
Murphy doesn't reply. "Stay here," Bellamy demands, setting Murphy down. His voice is low, like a growl, and it sends shivers down my spine.
I stiffen as Bellamy starts to walk into the cave, right towards me.