Chapter 12

I wake up the next morning like I would any other day. I feel normal, almost happy. Then the memories of yesterday's events come back, wiping the sunny smile right off my face.
When I head to the centre of camp for breakfast, I don't look for Bellamy. I sit down next to Raven, Finn, Octavia and Adam at a table made of medal from the dropship and a tall tree stump. Skipping the "good mornings", I ask them if they knew about Alex. They all say yes, but Adam knows the most, for he had been on the hunt with Bellamy and Murphy.
"So what are the details? And who's going back out to search for her again?" Raven looks at me when she asks the question.
"How should I know?" I reply, slightly exasperated. "No one told me!"
They all frown. "No one told you?"
"No! Why didn't anyone bring it up last night? I mean, it's pretty big news!"
After a moment of silence, Finn speaks up. "Bellamy didn't want anyone to overhear us talking about it. He didn't want too many people to know. We didn't want to cause panick."
So he told them.
"We're planning on going out again today. Bellamy said we'd leave this morning, but I haven't seen him yet," says Adam.
"It's only 8:35," I say, checking my watch.
"I'm sure he'll be out soon," says Octavia. "And when he's ready, I'll go with you guys."
That gets me thinking. Maybe I should go too. We need to look out for our people, and Alex is so young. And, although I feel bad admitting it, it helps that I'll be able to prove to Bellamy that I'm not selfish.
"I don't think that's a good idea," says Adam, looking at Octavia with concern. "And do you think Bellamy is going to let you come with us? His baby sister?"
Octavia rolls her eyes. "He doesn't decide what I do. Besides, I'm just as capable as him."
Adam doesn't argue, but I see in his face that he's still unsure.
"I'm coming too," I declare, standing up. "Finn? Raven?"
"I think we'll stay here, look after the rest of camp," says Finn, and Raven nods.
I nod, approving. "Okay then. Adam, Octavia, let's go."
Octavia frowns. "What about Bellamy?"
"We'll get our weapons and supplies. If he's still not out by the time we're ready, we'll leave without him."
Octavia and Adam follow me hesitantly, unsure of what to think of my decision.
"Someone's out there, in trouble. You think the grounders are waisting time? No. And neither are we." I turn on my heel and make my way to the dropship.