Chapter 57

I see Murphy's lips moving, like he's trying to talk, but too many people are screaming down here to hear him.
"I-I need to stop this," I stammer, panic invading my head.
"What?" says Bellamy. He has a terrified expression on his face.
"I can't let him do this," I say, trying to speak louder, but it practically comes out as a whisper. Before Bellamy can reply, I run back into the tower. I rush up the stairs, taking them two at a time.
I hear footsteps behind me, and I assume it must be Bellamy, but I don't turn around to check. Murphy might decide to jump at any second, and I can't let him do that.
By the time I reach the 10th floor, I'm completely out of breath. I spin around and see him, in the window frame, his back to me.
"Murphy," I call, trying to keep my voice as steady as possible. His head turns to look at me, and I see tears on his cheeks.
"What, Clarke? Are you gonna tell me not to do it? That I have so much to live for?" His voice cracks and his legs wobble. My breath hitches in my throat, but he regains balance. "I lost the one good thing in my life," he cries.
The pain in his features makes me want to cry too.
I see Bellamy walk in from the corner of my eye.
"This isn't what Kaytee would have wanted," he says in a gentle voice.
Murphy stiffens at the mention of her name.
"He's right," I say. "She loved you so much. She would want you to be happy." Talking about Kaytee brings tears to my eyes.
"She would want you to live a long life," I tell him, trying to keep my voice from cracking.
Murphy's head drops. I can barely hear him, but I make out his choked sobs. "Well how can I do that without her?"
With those words, his legs give out and his knees buckle. I scream as he falls forward, waving his arms around to try to hold on to something, but there's nothing to grab. Until Bellamy's there. With lightning speed, he grabs Murphy by the shirt and pulls him back up. Murphy falls on the floor, his face white with terror.
Finally able to move my legs again, I run to him and hug him.
"Are you okay?" I ask him, pulling away and looking at him closely.
He nods, then turns to look at Bellamy. "Thanks for saving my life."
Bellamy smiles. "Just please don't do it again," he says. "I know you miss Kaytee, but you have to stay strong. People need you."
When I look at him, his eyes are on me.

***

"Are you sure you want to see this?" Bellamy asks me for the 10th time this afternoon.
Murphy, Bellamy and I are standing at the front of a big crowd of people. Commander Tuscany is standing at the centre of the circle we've formed, and so is Sonthia. Sonthia is tied to a wooden post, glaring at anyone who makes eye contact with her.
Today is her execution. At least half of Polis is here to watch. Tuscany is holding the sword that, in only a few minutes, will end Sonthia's life.
"Yes," I answer Bellamy. Watching her die is the only way I can get closure over Kaytee's death.
All Tuscany has to do is raise her arm, and everyone becomes quiet. She names Sonthia's crime and her punishment, and without wasting time, she pulls out her sword.
I feel like looking away, but I force myself to watch.
I'm confused when Tuscany takes a step backwards and a tall man walks into the circle, holding a long knife. He makes his way to Sonthia and lifts the knife to her arm. He drags it across her skin, leaving a deep gash. I can't help but flinch when she screams in pain.
"What are they doing?" I whisper.
Bellamy shakes his head, a disturbed look on his face. "They're torturing her."
"Good. She deserves it," Murphy says, under his breath.
A woman walks into the circle and takes the knife from the man before her. She cuts Sonthia's other arm, then passes the weapon to the next person in line.
Despite the nauseous feeling in my stomach, I watch the whole thing. After at least 20 more people take a turn cutting her, Tuscany finally ends it with her sword. As Sonthia utters out a final shout of misery, my vision goes blurry. Then everything goes black.