Chapter 5

I step out of my tent and check my watch: 8:45. Camp is buzzing; Jasper is playing tag with some younger kids, Raven and Finn are eating with Adam and Octavia, there are people crowded around a large campfire, some guys are picking yellow fruit off a tree leaning over the fence wall and a few people are throwing knives at trees.
There's no sign of Bellamy. I don't think much about it; why should I care? Bellamy's favourite thing to do is piss me off. It should be nice not to have him around.
I shove my hands in my pant pockets and join Octavia and the others. I sit across from Finn, who smiles at me.
"Hey, Clarke. Want some-er, what's it called?"
Raven laughs. "It's a pear," she tells him, taking a juicy bite into a greenish fruit.
"Right. Want some pear?" He asks.
"Sure," I say, catching the one he tosses to me.
I begin to take a small bite, but it turns into a big one. It's delicious. "Where'd you guys find this?"
"Finn found them growing on a tree just a five minute walk from here," says Adam. I stand and turn to Finn so quick I crack my neck.
"You went alone?" I almost shout.
"Clarke, it was five minutes away," he argues.
"And you didn't think there could be grounders out there? Finn, they're everywhere." I feel my face grow hot.
"Clarke," says Raven. "It's not your concern.
I look at her angrily. She stares at me back, unblinking.
I sit back down. "Fine. Just be more careful," I mumble to Finn.
"I will," he promises. Raven eyes him skeptically.
After breakfast, Raven heads to "the bathroom", a hole in the ground surrounded by a canvas tarp, for privacy.
I catch up to her. "Raven, wait up."
She turns around, her eyes on the ground. "What?"
"I wanted to tell you something." I pause, taking a deep breath. "Raven, you don't have to worry about Finn. I'm not gonna touch him, and I'm definitely not going to play with your relationship." Her face softens a bit and she looks up at me. "But," I continue, "he's still my friend. I'm still going to try to protect him." I wait for an answer that doesn't come. "I hope you understand." I turn to walk away when she finally speaks up.
"Thanks, Clarke."