11- Come And Get It

Start from the beginning

“You’re welcome.” He grinned, looking down at my outfit. I was wearing white bootie heels with black skinny jeans and white a cropped top with scribbled writing over the front that said “When you’re ready come and get it, nanana” which is quoting Selena Gomez’s song, obviously. The shirt was so cropped that it showed off about two or three inches of my tanned tummy. When he realized that I wasn’t going to say anything, he spoke again. “So, do you want to like, go upstairs or something?”

I shook my head. “No, not with you. But thanks for the offer, I suppose.”

He sighed heavily. “C’mon, Dakota. What happened on Sunday was a misunderstanding.”

“What happened on Sunday has nothing to do with why I won’t go upstairs with you.” I told him honestly. “We aren’t dating and we never were, so you can hook up with whoever you want, it’s none of my concern nor any of my business. But you’re not hooking up with me.”

“Then what’s the problem here?” He wondered. “You said that you like me.”

“Yeah, well I unlike you now.” I informed him, tired of him saying that over and over again like it’s supposed to trigger something inside of me. Oh, you’re right, I did say that, let’s go upstairs now so you can take advantage of me. Like that would ever happen.

He gave me a pleading look but it really didn’t work on me at all. I’m so prone to those puppy dog looks thanks to Owen always trying them on me like, our whole lives, when he’d want something and it’s just so easy to say no to them now. “I thought we could be all cute like the captain of the dance team with the captain of the baseball team. Kind of like Prince Charming, I guess.”

I snorted softly at that completely and utterly ridiculous idea that he probably just pulled out of his ass or something because it sounded so stupid coming from him. “Well, you are not my prince and I am not your princess, that’s for sure.”

“I think you’re lying.” He insisted.

I shook my head. “I’m really not but if you want to make a scene, you probably shouldn’t do it with both my dad and my overprotective brother in the room. Just a suggestion.”

“I’m not making a scene.” Caleb defended.

“No, but you’re going to try.” I accused. “So just leave me alone, Caleb.”

He rolled his eyes rudely at me- I didn’t really care, though- and then walked away, back to the partying baseball team in the kitchen.

“What was that about?” Owen asked me once Caleb was completely gone.

I shrugged. “Caleb being Caleb is all.”

“Is he giving you trouble?” He asked protectively.

I laughed and shook my head. “No, it’s fine, O.”

“Are you sure?” He wondered stubbornly.

I nodded. “Yep, just go and enjoy your victory.”

“If you say so,” He sang reluctantly.

“I say so.” I laughed, pushing Owen away from me and back towards the kitchen from where I was standing on the threshold of the kitchen and the living room.

“So there is a thing with you and Fisher?” My dad wondered, coming over to me after about ten minutes of me standing there by myself.

“Dad,” I groaned. “There is no thing, I promise.”

“It looked like a thing when he was over here talking to you.” He insisted.

“Okay, there was almost a thing.” I admitted. “But the almost-thing is dead now, so no worries.”