The Prototypes

We walk down the street, now one stronger with our new ally. He's already begun to heal. After all, he's not human. He's a machine, made solely for the purpose of filling roles needed for the story. These are called prototypes. There were fifty, each coded based on the previous model. They are alive, and have souls like any human, but the source code for the soul was destroyed, another prototype can never be made. There were 50, and 42 of them were erased.

"So," Devil asks, "if you're a prototype how is 42 your brother?"

"Well," 14 explains, "we base it on who coded us. I was coded in the True World by a man named John, who also coded 41 and 42. However, a body was never created for me, and I was never brought into the True World. I thought I'd be in limbo forever, but the author found me and brought me here. Now, here I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful, but I'd still rather be in the True World."

What are you gonna do in the True World?

"Dunno," 14 explains, "I don't know enough about the True World. It's been... I dunno, millions of years? Billions? The True World's been around for a very long time, and so have the souls within it. Existing in the afterlife most likely, I'm gonna find my brother and just let him explain."

Sounds good.

"So," Devil keeps the conversation flowing, "I've been wondering. Since we're almost strong enough to cross the barrier, why not just go to the True World?"

Cause, in all honesty, when I looked at the journal, I saw somthing. An image, a massive white dome. It was surrounded by curious civilians. It was labled, "the world that ascends." In other words, our world. There was a bunch of notes, but one in particular caught my eye. It read, "if a being with and incomplete soul attempts to leave, they will be erased upon contact with the barrier. In other words, we touch the barrier, we die.

"Well that's fucking great isn't it?" Devil sarcastically replies, "let's keep moving."

We walk in silence for a while, before running into Smith, the king of chaos and justice, or as the readers know him, The Jester.

"Hello Smith," Devil greets, "how are you?"

"I fell great!" Smith replies, "a world of chaos and justice! Just where I belong!"

This world is terrible! Look around! Endless bloodshed, violence, and war! This is madness!

Smith laughs creepily. "You think this is madness?" Smith asks, "let me tell you something, I'm not letting this world Ascend, and now that you're the protagonist, I'm afraid I can't allow you to continue. Now that I have control, I can do anything."

"How much control?" 14 inquires.

"75%," Smith grins maliciously. He uses his control. Fireballs appear and fly at Devil.

Douge!

Devil douges narrowly. He draws his sword and lunges.

Smith catches the blade, and uses his control... But nothing happens.

You know, control is only how strong you are magically attuned to this world. You can still run out of mana, and you never were much of a mage. I take it you're a pyromancer, take it from me, you need to be smart with your mana. I'll see you in the next one. Kill him.

Devil pulls his blade up at high speeds, cutting Smith's fingers. He shoves his blade into  Smith's stomach. Smith coughs up some blood before falling to his knees, gasping for breath for a few moments, and finally dropping dead.

Our strength... ya know what? There's no way to hide the plot twist anymore. I've lied to you, strength, one's power to destroy is actually sin. How? By forcing the weight of one's sins apon their foes, wearing them down under the weight. Killing increases sin. The readers have killed. Who? Who do ya figure? Antagonist of course!

"Who are you talking to?" Devil asks.

I'm just breaking the 4th wall, don't mind me.

"OK," Devil replies, "also, you sound like you have a lot of experience when it comes to mana. Care to tell me about that?"

Long story short, before Hatred killed me I was still learning to use control. When he attacked, I had no mana, and couldn't defend myself. Mana is vital in this world, always keep some in reserve. Even if it is in everything in this world, it takes time to absorb it. No one can be trusted, and you must always, ALWAYS, assume you can be attacked. Even if you're with friends, it never hurts to have mana as a form of insurance. Anyways let's take Smith's control.

Yoink!

Son of a bitch he took it!

Nothing personal, just protecting the story. If you get any stronger, your master will enter this world, and he will destroy everything.

So, I'm not getting any stronger?

Maybe later, if you fix your soul and separate yourself from your creator. For now, you're a threat, and I have forbidden the emotions to help or hinder you. Except Neutrality, he's separate. If he assistants you, it won't contradict any lore. Anyways, see you at the end.

Thanks? In all honesty, I'm confused. What lore would you helping contradict?

I stick by my word, and I told the readers to stop you. Or rather, your creator. I can't help you without being a hypocrite. However, Neutrality can, he's separate as you may recall. That clear things up?

Yes, thanks.

No problem, and that about wraps up this chapter. See you later.

Isn't this kinda an abru-