Part 22

A few days later Jacob had sent his DNA sample off for the paternity testing and was now waiting on the results.
He and Connie were lying in bed snuggled up together when his phone rang.
"Hey Zoe, what's up?" Jacob asked.
"You need to come to the hospital, it's Layla. She's been in a car accident and is asking for you" Zoe told him.
He sat up and looked at Connie who had heard every word Zoe had said, "get Noah and I'll get Grace" she said as she got out of bed.
"I'm on my way Zoe" Jacob said before ending the call, "you don't need to come and disturb the kids babe" he said as he looked at Connie.
"I do because I need to support you. Grace will be fine in my office" she replied before going to Grace's room.

They arrived at the ED twenty minutes later, Connie took Grace and Noah straight to her office in his car seat.
Charlie sat in with them whilst they slept then Connie went to resus to Jacob.
Layla had deteriated quickly, and Connie held onto his hand as Ethan performed chest compressions whilst Zoe delivered the baby via c-section.
They both knew the babies chances of survival were extremely small, but as this point Layla's didn't look any better.
They watched as Zoe took the baby into her arms and cut the chord, both of them straight away seeing that the baby was infact Jacob's.
"Let's get her to NICU" Zoe said as she was placed into an incubator that has been brought down.
"I've got a daughter" Jacob said in disbelief.
"Go with her baby, I'll stay down here with Layla" Connie said.
"Thank you" he replied before following Zoe and Robyn out quickly.

"Adrenaline!" Ethan shouted as he continued chest compressions.
Rita administered the shot then did another pulse check, shaking her head at Ethan.
"Let's shock her" he ordered, then Rita got the defibrillator ready.
"Clear" she said before everyone stepped back.
"Shocking" Rita said as she pressed the button.
Ethan checked her pulse after the shock, "nothing, are we all in agreement?" he asked.
"No! Shock her again!" Connie said sternly.
"Mrs Beauchamp, she's been in VF for the past 10 minutes, massive head and chest trauma and a c-section" Ethan replied.
"One more time!" Connie ordered.

They administered the shock, Connie watching hopefully as Ethan checked her pulse.
"She's gone Mrs Beauchamp" he told her.
"And how am I supposed to tell Jacob that? How am I supposed to tell him that his baby girl doesn't have a mummy, when she needs her most!" Connie said as she broke down in tears.
Rita sighed and approached her, "go to your children Connie then go to see Jacob, he's got you and that's what he really needs" she said.
And nodded and walked out, going straight to her office.
Grace was sleeping on her couch whilst Charlie sat at her desk holding Noah in his arms who had started to stare.

"Connie?" Charlie asked as he looked up at her.
"She's gone. Jacob's with the baby, and now I need to tell him" she sniffled.
"I'm sorry. Do you want me to watch Noah and Grace still?" He said.
"Grace if you don't mind, I'll take Noah with me. He might provide Jacob with some comfort, knowing he's got one baby to cuddle and put to sleep tonight" Connie replied.
Charlie nodded and handed Noah over to her then stood up and kissed her head, "you'll all be ok" he said.
Connie smiled weakly and walked out of her office holding Noah close to her.

She noticed the sympathetic looks being sent her way, and to say she hated it was an understatement.
She knew that although some of the staff who she considered genuine friends were actually upset, they had all liked Layla and of course with Jacob and Connie being together they knew she would have to support him, so would also need support.
But then there were the looks of sympathy for other reasons, the "you're taking on a dead woman's child" looks or the "you'll never be her mother no matter how hard you try" looks. They were the looks of people that didn't understand, people that didn't understand that Connie was going to be there for Jacob through everything because she loved him.

Connie got into the lift which took her up to Maternity then went straight along the corridor to NICU.
She watched from the window as Jacob sat by the incubator next to his daughter, his hand through the window    as she held onto his finger loosely.
She was so tiny, even smaller than Grace had been when she was born.
Wires and tubes came from her frail body, she was ventilated and her heart rate being monitored.
Connie pushed the door open and stepped inside causing Jacob to turn around.
"How's Layla?" he asked but he could tell by the look on her face.
"I'm sorry, they did everything they could" she told him as she placed a free hand on his shoulder.

Jacob nodded and looked back towards the baby, "she's so tiny" he whispered.
"I know baby, I know" Connie replied.
He looked back up at her and at Noah, "can I take him?" he asked.
"Of course" she said then placed Noah in his arms.
"Baby, would you mind sitting with her for a little while? I just need some air but I don't want her to be left alone" Jacob said.
"Of course, I won't leave her side" Connie said as Jacob stood up then she took his space beside the incubator.
He kissed her head then carried Noah outside, standing where Connie had previously stood watching them.
"He looks like he's doing well, when can you take him home?" a woman asked as she approached him.

"Huh?" Jacob said.
"Sorry, you're little boy, he looks to be doing well" she said again.
"Oh, yeah he is. But I'm not here for him, that's my little girl" he said as he pointed to the incubator.
"I'm sorry, my daughters in there too. Olivia, just there" the woman said as she pointed to the incubator two spaces away.
"How old is she?" Jacob asked.
"Two weeks, CDH baby but the prognosis is good. You?" she replied.
"Twenty minutes, three months prem. Her mum was in a car crash, she didn't make it" Jacob replied.
The woman looked at him in confusion, "so he's not yours? And she's not her mum?" she asked.
"He is mine, Noah, he's 9 days old. That's Noah's mum, my girl friend. Her mum was my ex, it's complicated" he told her.
"Mr Masters? We have news" Mr T said as he walked out into the corridor.