Part 17

"Zoe, where's Jacob?" Connie asked as she walked out of her office clutching her stomach.
"He's out with the paramedics, what's wrong?" Zoe said.
"The baby's coming! My waters have broke and I'm having contractions" Connie said before groaning and grabbing the side of the nurses station.
"Ok I'll take you up to maternity, is there anyone you'd like me to call? Grace's childminder? The father?" Zoe asked.
"Not Grace, it's late, she'll be sleeping and it could be hours yet" she said before lowering her voice, "you need to call control, I need Jacob back" she added quietly.
"He'll be back as soon as he can but I think the birth of your baby is more important Connie" Zoe told her.
"No, Zoe I need him! It's his baby and I need him" Connie said as she became emotional.

After Zoe finally recovered from shock she convinced Connie to get in a wheel chair then called control on the way up to Maternity.
"I'm sorry Connie, control can't seem to get contact them, the signals terrible" Zoe said.
"Where are they?" Connie asked but didn't get a response.
"Zoe tell me where they are!" she said before crying out in pain.
"On a cliff edge" Zoe replied as Mr T approached them.
"Why did he have to go?! I need him here with me!" Connie sobbed.
"Daddy not here?" Mr T asked.
"Oh yeah he's hiding behind Zoe!" Connie said sarcastically before screaming and clutching her bump.

She was taken into a side room and changed into a gown whilst Zoe tried ringing Jacob's mobile but still she got no answer.
"Connie I'm going to try Iain and Jez" she said.
"No you can't, nobody knows the baby is his" she panted.
"Everyone will find out soon enough Connie! You're in labour and you need him here" Zoe before calling Jez.
"Zoe?" Jez said as he answered.
"Yeah, look how long till you can get back here? Or get Jacob back here?" Zoe asked.
"An hour at least, Jacob's going down the cliff edge" Jez told her.
"Get him back up now. I mean it Jez, I'll tell Iain if I have to but I need Jacob back the hospital now and I need him alive so do it!" Zoe said sternly.

"Alright I'll tell Iain, what's the rush though? Haven't you got other Nurses?" He asked.
"Yes I have got other nurses but the other nurses aren't about to miss the birth of their son! Call me when he's on his way" Zoe snapped before ending the call.
"Well?" Connie asked.
"Jez is going to ask Iain to send Jacob back. He probably has no idea who's giving birth but I'm hoping he'll actually tell Jacob why he needs to come back" She told her.
"He better! Aaaah it hurts!" Connie screamed.
"I know, just breathe on the gas and air. It'll be worth it in the end" she reassured Greg her

////
"Iain you need to bring Jacob back up!" Jez shouted as he ran over to him.
"We've only just sent him down!" Iain said.
"Yeah well Zoe just called, something about him missing the birth of his son" he told him.
"What? Layla's not pregnant!" Iain told him.
"No, but I know someone who is, someone that's having a boy" Jez said and suddenly it dawned on Iain.
"Let's get him back up now!" Iain shouted and began pulling on the rope.
Others began pulling on it too and Jacob began shouting up to them wondering what was going on, "the guys still down there! I need to help him!" he shouted as he reached the top.
"Connie's in labour! Jez take him back in the ambulance, patient can travel in the second one" Iain said.
Jacob ran and jumped into the ambulance without a word followed by Jez who quickly started the engine and drove back to the ED.

Fifteen minutes later Jacob flung open the door, "thanks mate" he said before running in and up to maternity.
Connie was sat in the bed breathing on the gas and air whilst screaming and pushing.
"I'm so sorry I wasn't here" he said as he pushed the hair out of her face and kissed her temple.
"I hate you so much Jacob Masters! Oh my god this hurts!" she screamed as she grabbed his hand.
"You're doing well Connie, I can see the head now. I need a really big push to get it out" Mr T said.
Connie screamed and pushed as hard as she could whilst holding Jacob's hand.
"And there's the head, one last push and he'll be here" Mr T told her.
She took a breath of the gas and air before pushing on her next contraction until their son's cries filled the room.