Part 6

9 weeks later

Connie stood in the toilet cubical holding the test between her fingers.
She'd only now decided to take it because of the vomiting that had occurred when she'd woken up this morning.
In actual fact she had expected she may have been pregnant for the past seven weeks when she missed her period but didn't want to take the test because missing periods was quite common with Connie as her cycle was irregular due to the stress of the job, so she didn't want to get her hopes up.
The timer on her phone beeped then she took a deep breath and turned it over.
The words flashed infront of her on the test, the words that caused a genuine smile to come to her face.
Pregnant 9-10 weeks

She wrapped the test in some tissue then tucked it into her pocket before leaving the cubical and washing her hands before walking out.
"Staff Nurse Masters, a word in my office please" she said as she walked passed reception where Jacob was talking to Max.
He nodded and followed her to her office, closing the door behind him.
"Everything ok?" Jacob asked her.
"Yes, can you come over tonight or are you busy?" Connie replied.
"Err sorry Con, I've got a date tonight. Tomorrow yeah?" he said.
"Oh, yes ok. You can go back to work now" she said as she sat down at her desk forcing a smile.
"Alright, see you sweetcheeks" he said with a wink before closing the door behind him.

Connie placed her hands up her blouse and on to her stomach "looks like it'll just be me, you and Gracie" she whispered as she traced her fingers over her skin.
She tried to hold back the tears at the thought of being with another woman, after all she had said he was free to date but still it was hurting her and she was realising just how in love with him she really was.
She worked the rest of her shift avoiding him as best she could which he managed to pick up on but didn't feel like it was the time or the place to bring it up.
Grace was at Audrey's after school so she drove straight there and picked her up before going home.
Connie ordered Pizza then they crashed in front of the TV watching Frozen.

"Grace can you pause the film for a minute please? I need to talk to you" Connie said.
"What about mummy?" Grace asked as she paused it.
"You know you've been talking about wanting a baby brother or sister for while?" She said then Grace nodded, "well you're going to have one, I'm pregnant" she added.
Grace broke out into a big smile and hugged Connie, "thank you mummy!" she squealed causing Connie to smile too.
When Grace pulled away she looked at Connie sheepishly, "can I ask you something?" she said.
"Course baby, anything" Connie replied.
"Well I know that you can't make a baby on your own, so who is the baby's daddy?" Grace asked.

Connie sighed, "if I tell you then you need to promise not to say anything to him, or anyone else, because I haven't told him yet ok?" she said.
"I won't" Grace replied.
"Ok, the baby's daddy is Jacob" she told her.
Grace's eyes widened and she almost choked on her orange juice, "Jacob? But you aren't together, why are you having a baby together?" she asked.
"Err do you know baby's are made sweetheart?" Connie asked.
"Sort of, I know you need a mummy and a daddy, and you have sex, but I don't know what sex actually involves so no I guess not" Grace replied.
"Wow ok err I'm not really quite sure how to explain it without it sounding gross. Let's just say me and Jacob did it because we both wanted a baby. It didn't mean we had to live together, just that the baby would see both of us but would live here with me and you" Connie said.

"Oh, I guess that's ok. Can I put the film back on now?" Grace asked.
Connie nodded and turned her attention back to the TV whilst resting her hands on her stomach till the end of the film.
Grace switched it off as soon as the credits began to role then turned back to Connie, "mummy why would sex sound gross?" she asked innocently.
"Oh no, that's enough questions for one night missy. Its time for bed for you, and remember what I said about not telling anyone who the daddy is ok?" Connie said.
"Ok, will you tell me another time?" Grace said.
"Yes, now come on, if you get in bed quickly I'll read you a story" Connie told her as she stood up.
Grace smiled and sprinted out, "first one up gets to choose!" she shouted as she ran up the stairs with Connie laughing behind her.