Chapter 12

I wasn't sure what to say to him. What do you say to someone who almost died because of you? I shouldn't have left him alone, what the hell was I thinking? I still feel that reluctance to take responsibility. I don't want to be in this situation and I can say that honestly. And with that attitude, I walked into Baekhyun's room.
He was sitting up straight on the hospital bed with his legs criss-crossed staring at his lap.
"Hey, you all good?" I asked hesitantly.
He looked up immediately and his expression softened upon seeing me.
"Yeah, I'm fine. I really thought I wasn't," he answered, looking back down again.
"Yeah, me neither," I responded, shoving my hands in my pockets.
The doctor walked in just then, relieving some of the tension.
"Hey, so what's wrong with him?" I asked immediately.
"Well the breathing disruption was caused by the mere flu, but the cracked rib definitely aggravated his breathing," he relayed back to us.
I felt my fists start to tighten as I heard the words "cracked rib". Baekhyun was watching my face carefully.
"And for the stomach pain, we couldn't really exactly pinpoint the main cause, but I'm sure that multiple kicks to the stomach is enough to cause some discomfort. But the level at which he was experiencing the pain, at least according to him, was rather strange. So if anything else happens, I'd highly suggest coming in right away. We bandaged up his ribcage, so just try to refrain from any strenuous activity, like for a while," he informed Baekhyun.
"Thank you doctor," I said curtly as I gently pulled Baekhyun off the bed, wrapping a very carefully placed arm around his waist.
I was fuming by the time we reached the car.
"I'm going to kill them. All of them, every last one of those fucks is good as dead," I said angrily, slamming the door to the drivers seat shut.
"Chanyeol-"
"Don't fucking Chanyeol me. That piece of shit Kai and all those other fucks are not going to live to see tomorrow, I swear to god-"
"Yah Chanyeol! Just drop it, ok?" Baekhyun yelled back at him.
I sighed, exhaling deeply.
"Fine. But the next time this happens, I'm not holding back.  And you don't want to be on the receiving end of that, trust me. There's a reason I moved here halfway through the school year," I said, not diverting my eyes from the road.
"What happened Chanyeol? Why do you live by yourself?" He pressed.
"We're not talking about that," I said finally.
I pulled up in front of his house. He made like he was getting out, then hesitated.
"Nothing else is going to happen to me, as long as I have you next to me, right?" He said, smiling faintly in the most hauntingly beautiful way imaginable.
I longingly watched him limp and hobble his way to the front door.
You're sure as hell right it's not going to happen again.

I was sitting in my car parked out in front of my house. I slammed my fists on the wheel in frustration.
I don't want to care, I don't want to have feelings for that little human. Yet I find myself not caring that I do care more and more everyday. What the hell is happening to me.
I should just cut him out of my life, that's what I should be doing, it's what I've always done before. But if I leave him alone again, he'll get seriously hurt, if not killed. I hate this! I hate having this responsibility for him, having this obligation towards him. I could in reality break free at any point, but there's just something so inviting about him, I have to protect him. All I want to do is stand in front of him, shielding him from the dangers of society, and tell him everything is going to be ok when I don't even know for myself.

I think I've fallen for Byun Baekhyun.

Aish, I'm gonna murder that cute, little fuck before anyone at school even has a chance to.

.........................

Baekhyun came out of his house the second I pulled up to it the next morning. He was smiling like crazy when he got into my car.
"Wow, why are you in such a good mood?" I asked him.
"Hmph, I'll tell you after school," he said humming happily.
"Yah, Baekhyun, tell me now" I urged him.
"It can wait," he replied primly.
And he stayed like that throughout the day.
At the end of the day, I left my last class to go get Baekhyun from his. That was how we'd decided he'd stay safe in the hallways and whatnot. I poked just my head through the doorway and saw him playing something on his phone.
"Baekhyun-ah!" I called into the room, watching his cute face pop up immediately.
He stashed things in his bag and joined me out in the hallway.
The corridor was alight with movement and life. But the small boy next to me just kept his eyes down and stuck a little closer to me than normal. I'm sure the hall looks very different to him.
In a few seconds however, my world turns as dark as his. I see Kai and Sehun up ahead standing right by the exit. Baekhyun senses me tensing and looks up as well, almost stopping dead in his tracks after seeing both of them.
And they see us too.
My fists clench as I gently transferred Baekhyun to my other side, being mindful of his cracked rib. I hugged his small frame into my side as we passed them. Baekhyun couldn't help but look up at them and at that second, Kai decided to throw a lazy arm around Sehun's waist.
Baekhyun had definitely lost the majority of his cheery disposition from this morning. I tried to take his mind off of it.
"Hey, what were you going to tell me this morning?"
I expected his face to completely change into what it looked like this morning, but my words had just the opposite effect. At least Baekhyun tried to smile, but I saw right through it.
"Well for the first thing, my mother is starting to see someone and I think she really likes him, that's pretty awesome, and the second thing is, well, like if you think about it in reality, it really would benefit everyone in the situa-"
"Baek, just fucking say it already," I said, slightly annoyed.
His big eyes shot to the ground for a second before meeting back up with mine.
"My mom is making me move in with my aunt in America."