Forgetton Realms - Goods & Services (Frostfell Equipment)

Forgetton Realms
Goods & Services
Frostfell Equipment

Although magic is the most efficient and powerful force available to help the denizens of the frostfell adapt and thrive in this harsh environment, it remains an elusive factor, available only to those fortunate enough to understand its use, or those rich enough to be able to buy what magic they may need. For the rest of the inhabitants of the frostfell (the majority of them, in fact), mundane items must fill this role. As a result, your equipment can make the difference between life and death. In frontier towns, such items aren't as necessary, but to the explorer, settler, and native denizen, frostfell equipment is incredibly important.

Frostfell Weapons
Alchemical Items of the Frostfell
Frostfell Gear
Weapons aren't the only objects that the people of the frostfell have developed to aid their lives. Industrious settlers have invented numerous specialized items over the years, most of which are now fairly commonplace in the frostfell. These items are detailed here.

Crampons: Crampons consist of a set of metal spikes and hooks that lash on to boots and gauntlets to assist in climbing or walking across icy surfaces. While you wear crampons, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on any Balance checks made to avoid slipping on an icy surface, and a +2 circumstance bonus on Climb checks.

Crampons impose a -10 ft. penalty to speed when not walking on snow or ice.

Fur Clothing: Fur clothing consists of thick layers of animal furs designed to be worn over a regular set of clothing or armor. Wearing fur clothing grants a +5 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saving throws against exposure to cold weather. Fur clothing can be worn over a cold weather outfit; in this case the circumstance bonuses granted by each item stack, granting a total +10 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saving throws against exposure to cold weather.

Fur clothing is cumbersome to wear. Although the furs do not provide an appreciable armor bonus, they do increase your total armor check penalty for any armor worn by 2 points.

Hut, Portable: A portable hut consists of a wooden framework that can be quickly assembled into a hut-shaped frame that covers a 10-foot square. The frame's base consists of several iron spikes that can be driven through holes in the frame to affix the hut frame to the ground; further stability is granted by several rope supports that extend out 15 feet from the hut's edge. Once the frame is in place, you simply attach the leather and fur wrappings over the outside of the wall and lash them directly to the frame to finish building the hut. A portable hut provides excellent shelter in the wilderness; assembling or disassembling a portable hut only takes 15 minutes of work. A portable hut serves as an improvised shelter (see Frostfell).

Skates: Skates allow full movement across icy surfaces for anyone with at least 5 ranks of Balance, but cannot be used at all on any other terrain.

Skis and Poles: Skis allow full movement across snow and icy surfaces but cannot be used at all on any other terrain. Downhill speed can be as a run (x4) on slight grades or as a run (x5) on severe grades. It takes a full-round action to don or to remove skis.

Snow Goggles: These wooden goggles have a thin horizontal slit in the middle. They grant a +2 circumstance bonus on saving throws to resist blinding effects, including snow blindness, extremely bright light, or spells that target vision indirectly (such as sunburst but not blindness). While wearing snow goggles, you incur a -4 circumstance penalty on Spot and Search checks.

Snowshoes: These allow the wearer to move across snow and ice with increased speed. Snow of any depth is considered a minor impediment (see Movement Impediments). Snowshoes take 1 minute to don and a full-round action to remove.

Winter Fullcloth: This is a heavily quilted undergarment that is worn underneath regular clothing to protect the wearer against cold.

Winter fullcloth is considered part of the cold weather outfit described above. If worn by itself, it grants a +1 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saving throws against exposure to cold weather.

Adventuring Gear Cost Weight
Crampons 5 gp 1 lb.
Fur clothing 8 gp 10 lb.
Hut, portable 125 gp 75 lb.
Skates 10 gp 3 lb.
Skis and poles 15 gp 6 lb.
Snow goggles 2 gp -
Snowshoes 15 gp 8 lb.
Winter fullcloth 4 gp 2 lb.

Anything I should add, change, and/or delete. This is a wiki of sorts.