Forgetton Realms - Goods & Services (Adventuring Items of Faerûn)

Forgetton Realms
Goods & Services
Adventuring Items of Faerûn

Armor Lubricant: This nonmagical oil reduces the friction that impedes movement in metallic armor. One application of armor lubricant reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0). Each application takes 1 minute to apply and lasts 1d4 hours. It is not possible to apply armor lubricant to armor currently being worn. Armor lubricant provides no benefit to shields or to armor not made primarily of metal.

Creating one application of armor lubricant requires a successful Craft (Alchemy) check (DC 15) and follows the rules outlined in the discussion of Craft skills.

Crystal Caltrops: These special caltrops are made out of a tough crystal. These are deployed just like traditional caltrops. When they score a hit, they do normal damage and release a poisonous gas. The victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 12) or instantly fall asleep for 1 minute. After 1 minute, the target must make another Fortitude save (DC 12) or sleep for an additional 1d4 minutes. The gas affects creatures immune to magical sleep, but not creatures immune to poison.

Drogue Wing: This pleated cloak unfurls into a gliding batlike wing 15 feet across if the wearer falls more than 20 feet. A drogue wing needs another 20 feet of falling distance in order to arrest the wearer's fall and unrestricted (at least 50 feet in diameter) gliding room. If all three conditions are met, a drogue wing negates falling damage. Once deployed, a drogue wing must be carefully refolded (a tedious task that requires 1 full hour) before it can be reused. There is a 25% chance that a drogue wing is ruined after each use. Drogue wings are popular among the hippogriff-mounted skyriders of the Great Rift.

Footsaw Trap: This item is similar to others of its kind that are typically designed to trap large animals such as bears or cougars. Its jaws are fitted with thin saw blades mounted on springs, and the mechanism is designed to cut the feet of any captive who struggles against its grip. The ghostwise hin did not invent this trap, but they have made excellent use of it: When enemies threaten, they salt the ground near their campsites with these dangerous devices, hiding them under thin layers of leaves or soil. A creature can discover a concealed footsaw trap with a successful Search check (DC 15). Once found, the trap can be disabled with a successful Disable Device check (DC 15).

Anyone who walks over a footsaw trap triggers it; the trap makes a melee touch attack with a +8 bonus. If its attack is successful, the trap deals 1d6 points of damage to the victim. A victim caught in a footsaw trap can move at half speed if the device is not attached to another object (such as to a tree or boulder by a length of chain). If it is attached in such a fashion, the victim must break the attachment, otherwise he cannot move. The trap inflicts an additional 1d4 points of damage from the saw blades every round that a trapped victim takes any action that involves movement. A trapped creature can pry open the jaws of the trap and escape (Strength check DC 25) or loose himself with an Escape Artist check (DC 30). Failure means that the trap deals another 1d4 points of damage to the victim and that the victim remains trapped.

A footsaw trap is a CR 2 trap. They can be constructed with the Craft (trapmaking) skill (DC 20).

Mobile Brace: This small staff can extend and lock at any length from 5 to 11 feet. It is commonly used to make a sturdy brace across a passage, granting a sure purchase for one or more ropes. A properly set brace can support up to 400 pounds of weight (less if the walls are soft, slippery, crumbling, or otherwise offer unsure purchase). Setting a brace allows characters to securely set a rope or grappling hook where doing so would normally be impossible. Adventuring groups can send a skilled climber or jumper to negotiate tricky ascents or dangerous falls, set a brace on the far side of the obstacle, and then give less nimble characters something to hang. on to while they cross the dangerous area.

Potion Bladder: This is a flexible, narrow-necked pouch, usually made of oiled leather or the preserved stomach of a small animal. Used extensively by water-dwelling creatures such as aquatic elves, these pouches hold 1 ounce of liquid (the same volume as a potion) and can be squeezed carefully to allow drinking of fluids (such as potions) underwater without spilling.

Rope Climber: This hand-held device consists of a powerful winch and locking wheel assembly that fits most standard ropes. When threaded with a rope, the winch offers one-way travel with the benefit of tremendous leverage. Using the climber to ascend a rope grants a +5 circumstance bonus on Climb checks, but it halves the rate of ascent. Threading a rope through the climber is a full-round action, as is removing it from a rope. The locking wheels turn only in one direction, preventing the user from slipping back down the rope. However, this means that for two people to use the same rope climber, one must ascend the rope, remove the device, and lower it back down to the next user.

Snowshoes: Fashioned of wood and strips of rawhide or sinew, snowshoes are invaluable for movement across deep snow. Snowshoes eliminate the hampered movement penalty for movement across deep snow but impose a 1/2 movement penalty across other types of terrain.

Wagon Shields: These are large wooden shields (generally of solid oak) reinforced with iron. They can be quickly fitted together to protect wagons and similar open-topped vehicles. One person can mount a wagon shield as a full-round action. Two people working together can mount a shield as a standard action. Once mounted, each shield provides a Small character in the wagon with three-quarters cover; a Medium-size character gains one-half cover behind a wagon shield. Each wagon shield has hardness 5 and 30 hit points. Some are fitted with arrow slits to allow those inside the wagon to fire on attackers without additional exposure.

Most wagons in Luiren are constructed with special racks beneath the wagon bed that hold six shields. The shields are normally sold in quantities of six, as that is the number required to fully protect the average Luiren wagon.
Item Cost Weight
Armor lubricant 40 gp 1 lb.
Caltrops, crystal 150 gp 2 lb.
Drogue wing 300 gp 30 lb.
Footsaw trap 700 gp 15 lb.
Mobile brace 10 gp 3 lb.
Potion bladder 2 gp 1/10 lb.
Rope climber 15 gp 3 lb.
Snowshoes 1 gp 2 lb.
Wagon shield
Standard 75 gp 40 lb.
Sniper 100 gp 40 lb.

Anything I should add, change, and/or delete. This is a wiki of sorts.