Chapter 11

The rest of that rehearsal passed with little conversation between Kaleb and I; both of us needed on stage or one of us off in the audience watching the other actors as their scenes were blocked. Thankfully, the rest of that week was dedicated to scenes between Jackson, who played Larry in the play and myself and then the rest of Meg and Kaleb's scenes.

That was, until Friday.

Halfway through rehearsal, without more than a few side glances from both Kaleb and I, Dave decided the flip the cards on us.

"Can I get you up here Leah and Kaleb, can you help move the bed from the side, left wing out onstage?" Dave asked as he lifted himself up onto the stage from the floor and walked off the help Kaleb move a large, white bed onto the left side of the stage.

Once the bed was in place, Dave and Kaleb walked back over to me and Meg as we waited patiently for directions.

"Alright, this is gonna be a transition scene into Anna leaving Dan. So I'll need Leah and Kaleb on the bed and then Meg off to the side, ready to walk up and knock on the door to Dan's place but you hear the moaning and whatnot going on inside and you have a moment of self-discovery before you turn around and take off. Then we will transition smoothly into the confrontation scene."

I knew Dave was still talking but my mind had zoned out with some of his first words.

Leah and Kaleb on the bed.

Of all times, it had to be now. Exactly a week after our brief but intense interaction, followed by a memorable beating from Zach, and his ever floating threat through my mind of what he would do if he ever saw me and Kaleb together again.

I couldn't do this.

But I had no other choice.

My mind and body were numb as I took each dreadful step towards the bed. In order to get through this, I would need the help of Alice.

So, as I took my rightful place on stage, waiting for Dave to continue on with his instructions, I concentrated all of my energy on Alice. On honing in on every one of her desires, every bit of her confidence, and slowly but surely, I felt my mind begin to ease.

My muscles relaxed, my heartbeat, which was erratically thumping in my chest seconds ago calmed to an acceptable pace, and overall, I felt... freer.

I felt Kaleb approach next to me, his presence as demanding as always, but I found that I didn't mind this time. I didn't care that he was just inches away from me, his arm occasionally brushing across my own.

In fact, I wanted it. Alice had taken over and Alice craved the connection and only yearned to lean into his touch even more so, welcoming the warmth he would bring with open arms.

My attention was flipped from Kaleb's body to Dave as he appeared in front of both of us.

"Okay, you two. I need heat. I need passion from you two in this scene. I know it's only a transition but it's an important moment for Meg's character so I need you to bring your A game. I know these moments can be awkward for two actors but that's just part of acing and part of the roles you've accepted," Dave explained to us, his eyebrows raised as he stared at both of us, waiting to see if either of us would protest.

Both of us nodded our heads, accepting our characters fate with grace and professionalism.

Dave's eye lit up and he clapped his hands together. "Perfect. Alright, so get on the bed and I need you on your back Leah and Kaleb on top. It's not a sex scene but it's most definitely not a PG scene either. Got it?"